ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: McCasland aware of miscues, excited by win over Texas A&M-Commerce pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Pretty interesting comments from the head coach. Owned them playing sloppy. Was pretty pleased walking out of there.

On sloppy second half:

"There was no 'kind of' to it. I think it showed our inexperience to be honest. We jumped on him pretty early. And I thought we got the advantages that we wanted. And then instead of putting pressure on him and stretching the lead from 20 to 30 into 40. It kind of felt like okay, we're ahead let's see if we can take some chances and we haven't been that sloppy. And it gets contagious with an inexperienced team, where everybody feels like maybe I can make this big play. Maybe I can make this big play and let's be honest, it's a great environment here. So I mean, I know our guys are excited to play and I didn't want to pull them back and stop them. I was good with some of the mistakes that we threw ahead to forwards trying to put pressure on the rim. But then as the game went on, you could tell two things one, I do think they play and get after you defensively it looked like we were a little bit fatigued and when you're fatigued, you do tend to make more mistakes. And then two, I just felt like it showed our inexperience and thinking like hey, let's just try to make a big play.

On defensive scheme:

"Yeah, give the staff credit. I mean, I thought the preparation was there, thought that we knew what they were going to do. We were able to apply some pressure and we actually turned them over a little bit. And contested shots. I thought our prep is in regards to personnel was really good, like who they are and what they did well and what we're able to take away. So you know, just the consistency in the effort was better than it's been."

On rotations at guard:

"I don't think anything said honestly, it looks like we've got a lot of guys that can contribute and the people that saw Chance at the A&M game saw that he can really shoot. He's been our best shooter. I just think we're gonna have to learn to play to each other's strengths more than you know. Like, at times when we got up, we felt like hey, it will be my turn this time and we just got to play better together."

On physicality in paint:

"If you look at the plan of attack against these guys, I mean I thought size was our advantage and to give our guys credit, we did get to line 29 times. I thought we were aggressive at the rim. I will tell you I didn't think we were strong enough at the rim. We got the ball knocked out of our hands several times and had opportunities to really be physical with the basketball and we need to get stronger."

On Darrion Williams strong day:

"I thought Darrion had a had a solid solid day, especially in just trying to help solidify us on the defensive glass. I really thought he was solid and he's been a three to one assist to turnover guy in his career. And I thought the more comfortable he gets handling the basketball. He's another guy that we can depend on."

On playing quickly and pushing tempo:

"it's definitely a benefit. Pushing the ball in paces and about score on everyone. It's honestly about kind of a battle of wills, like how can you maintain the level of physicality, you look at our team, we've got good team speed. We really do. And we've got versatile guys that can pass and catch and it feels like we just got to be able to trust each other that we can score. But we don't have to score in the first possession when we pitch it up the floor. That's what it felt like we were trying to do is like pitch it in and try to score on one pass. We've actually had some good flow in practice where we've had good flow for like, Let's go transition into half court offense and we got none of that tonight."

On Pop Isaacs at point guard:

"I think it's just gonna depend on the game, and it's going to depend on matchups and we didn't really take advantage of matchups tonight, it wasn't a big concern. I wanted us to see how well we could move the basketball as a team and he kind of got stuck at that position there for a stretch at the end of the game. I was running sets, and didn't help him, obviously. I think we could have done a better job of helping get the ball moving, where he didn't have to just set up, tee up, and they were denying. We'll do a better job of getting him options."

lxx6rbwbnysmxwmz025d

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.
Sideline Provisions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News