ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: McCasland Notebook: Post-Houston pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Courtesy of @C. Level and DoubleT973...

"What an effort on their part. I thought offensive rebounding would be a big deal and we did a decent job there but their physicality over 40 minutes caused problems. Their ability to keep attacking us, and I've got to do a better job of subbing guys to keep us fresher. I felt the pressure to score so to keep lineups out there that can score and keep pace with em. Tonight Shead was dominating the game, so when a guy like that is dominating the game, you've got to find a way to stay in the game. Probably could've done better subbing defensively. Their 40 points in the paint and 17 off turnovers was the back breaker. They gutted us from the inside. That's an excellent team and that's an excellent point guard."

Is your team better for playing a game like that?

"No question, that's what I told em in there. You've got to want this, you've got to want that physicality in these games. It felt like our team wanted it for the most part, when we got it to 15, let's get it to 10 and then they get some really easy looks at the rim. That can't be what we do, if we're going to give up something it can't be paint touches to layups to dunks at the rim, its gotta be contested twos and threes. They got a comfort level and we got fatigued and that was the stretch run that got us."

On Walton:

"Fantastic, honestly early, we thought we had some great looks that could've seperated us and in a game like this you've got to make threes consistently over the course of the game. We had a few late to get back into it, but Walton is going to be a big part of our spacing. He did a good job on the glass, we need him to keep rebounding to give us a chance. Whenever we got close to the rim, they we're more physical, ball gets knocked out of our hands or we miss a point blank shot. Give them credit, it's a super tough team."

On the UH defense:

"No doubt, the buy in and the ownership and the depth and the physicality, they keep bringing guys off the bench that have an understanding of what it looks like. You go back and look at Sampson's tenure, they were in the middle of the pack defensively ten years ago and you can see the growth. It starts with Shead, the dude just dominates teams by the way he competes on both sides of the ball, he just brings it. His will to win was just different."

lxx6rbwbnysmxwmz025d

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.
Sideline Provisions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News