ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Way Too Early Scouting Report: Arizona pres. by B-Run Sports

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Another look ahead to the season towards an opponent Texas Tech will face and this one is the first conference road game of the season against the Arizona Wildcats, a place that the Red Raiders have been recently and look to find a better result.

Let’s jump right into what is the best roster we’ve looked at so far.

Pretty High End QB Play

With plenty of turnover after the departure of Jedd Fisch to fill the Washington vacancy, one of quite a few major holds for new head coach Brent Brennan starts with sophomore quarterback Noah Fifita.

Fifita was one I considered for my All-Conference ballot that I spoke about a few weeks ago at this point and was very impressed with his abilities. To me, Fifita possesses a good arm with some really good processing of the pocket and while not possessing the footwork that I would desire, Fifita is a very tough player and will take some extra hits in the pocket when needed.

He was very accurate via the PFF tracking data alongside a 71% completion percentage with 25 touchdowns and just six interceptions as a redshirt freshman and will be the best quarterback that Tech faces in the front half of the season.

Top End Offensive Skill

Arizona’s offensive talent is very, very impressive and it all starts with a first-round projected pick in Tetairoa McMillan, who earned a spot on my all-conference list with an extremely well-rounded game that’s highlighted by some excellent hands in spectacular situations.

That throw in that clip is a perfect example of Fafita and McMillan. Extremely gutsy throw to hang in there and McMillan was able to win with speed before adjusting to an underthrow and winning with the hands.

Joining McMillan as the receiving threats former Colorado transfer Montana Lemonious-Craig who is back in Tucson with higher expectations placed on him this season after Jacob Cowing’s 104 targets from last season walks out of the door.

Productive Old Dominion transfer Reymello Murphy rounds out the highly touted receivers in the corps but will obviously have an adjustment period to the Big 12 after posting 502 yards on 28 receptions last season.

San Jose State transfer tight end Sam Olson is expected to be a receiving threat for the Wildcats after posting 315 yards on 22 receptions for the Spartans last year but does not provide much from a blocking perspective.

Lastly, a major overhaul at the running back position, highlighted by the addition of New Mexico transfer (after stopping in at Arizona, then stopping in at Ole Miss and going back) Jacory Croskey-Merritt who is a really, really good college running back.

Croskey-Merritt posted 1,191 yards and 17 touchdowns on 188 carries last season and has some really strong shake in the backfield while San Jose State transfer Quali Conley will likely provide some depth and receiving threat out of the backfield.

Offensive Trenches

On the offensive line it starts with right tackle, and likely NFL draft pick in a year’s time, Jonah Savaiinaea who is a really strong pass blocker and has the ability to get out on the perimeter when asked to do so.

He isn’t alone, whatsoever. Arizona returns all but their starting left tackle from last season, in which there will be some competition in the fall but the pick is likely to be former composite four-star who played a bit in 2023 in Raymond Pulido.

Slightly Above Average Defensive Unit w/ a Headliner

Overall the Arizona defense saw quite a bit of attrition but retained the headliner in yet another early round draft pick projection in corner Tacario Davis who posted 11 pass breakups last season.

The defensive line lost all but one contributor, in Ta'ita'i Uiagalelei who had 15 tackles and 14 hurries from the edge but brought in a pair of transfers who are sure to factor in while bringing in a total of seven(!) transfers on the D-Line. Another San Jose State transfer in Tre Smith brings 34 hurries and eight sacks from last year while Kevon Darton, the Syracuse transfer, should anchor the middle.

The linebacking corps is back, but not a whole lot to write home about outside of Jacob Manu, who is back after posting 69 tackles and seven sacks from an outside linebacker position where he drops into coverage at times and came up with an interception.

Arizona lost starting inside linebackers but didn’t go to the transfer portal, so they must feel good about Justin Flowe and Kamuela Ka’aiheu who posted a combined 29 tackles and one sack from the ILB spots.

This is a really strong group and it will be very interesting to see the Red Raiders go up against them in the biggest test of the season to this point.

"We specialize in high quality autographed sports memorabilia."

B Run Sports
BRunSports-LogoProofs-Master-Wordmark_copy_6f5178e6-4390-4a1d-975f-8fd7c67bc92c_1200x1200.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News