ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Things I Liked & Disliked Against Kansas State

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
This one was ugly, but there wasn’t a lot to learn from in this one. The offense was a problem, and a big one. The defense played well and kept the Red Raiders in this one, but they eventually broke. Both of which are reoccurring themes, something’s got to change for me not to sound like a broken record.

I had a lot of irrational thoughts about this one immediately afterwards but tried to gather them before I wrote this. Just like before, talking a few things I liked and disliked from Saturday.

Liked:

Trey Cleveland & Xavier White:

Cleveland was one of the few bright spots on the offensive side of the ball, going for 98 yards and bringing in what I consider to be the best catch by a Tech receiver this season.

Second straight week where Cleveland has made an impact and I bet there’s more to come from him.

Xavier White also was crucial yesterday and did one hell of a job coming off the bench for Myles Price.

He tallied 120 receiving yards on nine catches along with a touchdown yesterday.

White really played well and depending on the severity of the Price injury, we may see more of White in the role of Price going forward.

Sarodorick & Tahj:

These two really helped the Red Raiders in the second quarter. Both were moving the ball very well and despite the lackluster statistics, both ran the ball very well.

You have to hope that Sarodorick is healthy moving forward as that would be a massive loss to an already depleted Texas Tech offense.

Krishon Merriweather:

Merriweather was all over the field yesterday.

He made seven tackles and had two quarterback hurries and did a great job in containing Deuce Vaughn and Adrian Martinez.

Tyree Wilson:

Wilson is NFL ready. He hasn’t put up a bad game to this point of the season and I don’t expect him to do so anytime soon.

Two sacks, two tackles for loss, a quarterback hurry and a forced fumble went along with his 6-tackle performance on Saturday.

He is a game wrecker in every sense of the phrase.

The Second Quarter:

This to me is what makes this team so damn frustrating sometimes. You see flashes of excellence on all sides of the ball like you did yesterday in the second quarter.

Tahj & Sarodorick were moving the ball with authority and Smith was decisive in a non-collapsing pocket. The defense continued to be stellar, holding the Wildcats without a first down over multiple possessions.

This team has enough talent to compete at their best and in the two losses they haven’t been at their best the whole game, and it showed in the final score on Saturday.

Disliked:

Donovan Smith:

Donovan is one of my favorite players on this team. Just an electric energy around the man while having all of the necessary talent to win at the power five level.

However, he didn’t show that on Saturday. The reads were slow once again and his inability or lack of confidence to throw over the middle or over the top is killing Zach Kittley and the offense. The RPO and screen game can only get you so far.

The turnovers are killing this team as well. You cannot throw three interceptions and expect to come out on top.

Donovan is going to need a damn good game in Stillwater to keep his name in the hat for Tyler Shough’s expected return after the bye week.

Offensive Line:

The O-Line got worked yesterday. Plain and simple.

This group has been a problem from the jump and it was expected with the talent that Tech has on that front, which is an indictment on the previous coaching staff.

Caleb Rogers has been flat out bad this season since moving to left tackle and it is killing Smith and the run game.

The absence of Cole Spencer is really hurting this group. He would’ve been key on the left side and it has shown through the first five games.

I’m not making judgements about Hamby and Co. for a while, not this season at least, I think you need to see what the class of ’23 and potential portal additions can do. Surviving this season will be tough, but we know what this group is at this point, and they have to be better than that for this team to go anywhere.

Special Teams:

That missed field goal loomed large. If that’s made, you have the ball down seven with two minutes to play. Instead, you’re down two possessions and it’s all mute.

Austin McNamara has been somewhat of a disappointment too, but I expect him to figure it out.

I don’t think special teams was bad in the other fronts though. Tech contained a good return team and Xavier White had a great return on the first possession.

Front Seven:

These guys did a great job for the most part but they got killed on the 6-7 explosive plays the Wildcats had and it ultimately was costly.

I trust these guys, but there were some learning moments yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News