ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Tadlock Notebook: Red Raiders hosting Sooners for final home series pres. by BHW Law

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Just talked with Tad for a bit this afternoon. Interesting convo.

Has this been a difficult season with the injuries?:

"I don't feel that way at all. I really don't. I mean, I think we really enjoy the day to day and the process of putting those lineups together and putting the right guys on the field and trying to get guys as good as they can get at playing the game of baseball. And so I don't think at this point, you're saying hey most difficult by any stretch, you're trying to figure out a way to have a good practice today and get them ready to go you know for this weekend."

What's your assessment of Oklahoma:

"I think on the mound I think they're really good. I think the bullpens deep obviously the three starters they're running out there, they've kind of jumbled it around as they've gone but the Friday night guy has pitched I would say most of Fridays. The left handed kid from Sam Houston and they plugged the Weatherspoon kid in probably three or four weeks ago on Saturday. And I think they're going Girton on Sunday so there won't be any scouting report needed there which is kind of cool. You know, offensively, they're doing a lot of things just like they've always done trying to get on and trying to put some pressure on you."

How do you think the guys have handled the baserunning pressure this season?:

"I think Bazz has handled it really good. I think there was a stretch there were Maxcey handled it really good. Probably last weekend was the first time where Maxcey he didn't handle it good. I guess that was the game on Saturday. If I remember right, they got a few bases on him. And generally when that happens, there's a combination of two things. But he probably wasn't as good as he wanted to be that day. Those guys hav estopped it some and have done good of throwing it and catching it."

Austin Green available this weekend?:

"Looks like he's gonna be, kind of a day to day deal."

Anyone else back this weekend?:

"For the weekend, I think Owen's got a chance to be on the 30 man. He hadn't had a live at bat since that deal happened but I think he's got a chance I think he got released yesterday. And so you got a chance to get a couple guys back."

What's it like to face Jamie Hitt and Brendan Girton again?:

"I mean, those guys again, like each guy. I think each scenario and all those things have different backgrounds to each story. But as far as the kids go, and we always, again, got a lot of respect for those kids really appreciate when they were here, the way they went about things for the most part. And but again, like they're on the other side of the field, so I got really not much really think about and it's not like I'll be having big conversations with them or anything."

Could you see another series with Oklahoma? More likely than one with Texas?:

"It feels that way. It feels that way. Like we can at least talk about it. Any day of the week you can talk about it. which lends itself to maybe getting it on the schedule. Because if you're communicating and they had something fall through or we had something fall through, you can always put it on the schedule easier than if you're not talking to somebody as much. I feel like he'd want to play us. So yeah, I absolutely feel like it's a possibility."

"You could probably do it all three, mid-week here, mid-week there and a mid-week in Amarillo. That Amarillo trip is a little longer for them than it is for us. Might have to find a bit more common ground, Frisco or Arlington or something like that."

Any pressure this weekend with this being the last home series?:

"There's always a little bit of pressure to play good, man if you don't feel that way, I guess you don't care. And so, absolutely, you know want to do everything you can in your power to play good baseball each day. Whether it's here or there. I haven't thought of it the way you just mentioned it. To me. I still go back to baseball games a baseball game wherever you play out here. On the road, we've had a little less margin for error, it seems like, but then again, I'd have to go back and really dive in each game and each inning of each game and see what created that space...Pressure? If you want to call it pressure, yea. I mean, but I think you feel that every day. I think if you don't respect the game enough to feel a little bit of something, what are we talking about, right? So I mean, we want to win every day. I mean, if we play here, San Marcos or Austin or Norman or Stillwater we want to win, we want to play good enough to win."

What's your observations on OU's LHP starter on Friday night?:

"Left handed, fastball, slider, breaking ball, change. I think I've seen him 90-94. Probably going to pitch 90-92. He's pitched good and pitched bad, you don't ever know what version you're gonna get of a guy. What looks like a good arm kid that spent two years I think in Huntsville, Sam Houston. And I'm sure he threw good for them."

IMG_0686.jpeg

Barnett Howard & Williams PLLC is a law firm founded by three Red Raiders and based in Fort Worth. BHW attorneys handle personal injury, family law, criminal defense, and Title 9 cases all across the state. We hope you never need us, but we are in your corner when you do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News