ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Stuff I Noticed: Kansas

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
I know there's been a lot of talk about how we, as a collective fan base, should feel about that win, and that's always so funny to me. I'd like to think that we are capable of relishing a much needed win on the road against a ranked team, while also being able to discuss frustrations and ugly moments that may prevent this program from getting that necessary sixth win. There's also an element of the Kanasness of it all, it seems like if Tech went into Stillwater and won an ugly game against the 16th ranked Pokes, there would not be a ton of negativity.

I usually like to put some stats and analytics here, but, with the QB issues on both sides, what does it even mean? Speaking of, based on what we've heard since the game, it might be fair to reserve ultimate judgment on Kittley's offense. I was under the impression that Morton was much closer to being healthy, him still not being close makes a lot more sense with what we are seeing. Now, there probably should be some criticism on the lack of backup plan, I mean, even the Jayhawks had a third string walk-on that looked like a relatively functional quarterback. I'm beginning to think we would've seen Morton's injury treated more like Ewers if we had that option. I think this is also justified by the game-winning drive, the ability to move the ball through the air is there, but just not something that can be done all game, they have to pick their spots.

To the film...

The defense was really impressive, that feels obvious I know, but the impressive part was that this unit was able to find some success in areas that have really been issues all season, getting off the field, red zone, and discipline. Now, the getting off the field element to that list is a little murky because Kansas did convert 7/15 third downs, mostly with a backup QB, but they were 0/2 on two huge 4th downs and credit is due there. Same with red zone defense, Tech is allowing a ridiculous amount of touchdowns in the red zone this season (another sneaky reason this team has failed to live up to the hype created last season), but Kansas did not finish one Red Zone trip with a TD. With discipline, I'm talking gap, rush lane, and eye discipline. Good teams have used Tech's aggressive style of play against them which has resulted in these 3rd down, red zone, and explosive play issues. Kansas is the prefect team to do this, but even with Bean in, the Tech defense was playing straight up and winning.

The three plays in the clip above are perfect examples of the discipline I was referring to above. In the first one, we see a well run pressure that does not give Bean an outlet to get loose. This was my biggest concern with this game, and, on the first drive, we see the Tech defense is prepared. Great rush by the ends to not overrun Bean and create lanes, Rodriguez's blitz forces the issue without giving Bean an obvious outlet, and they have a spy prepared to at least force Bean wide. Perfect start to the game.

The same goes for the next two plays, in both there is so much going on in an effort to confuse/make the defense commit, in both the D Line keeps the offensive line occupied and does not allow for the easy options, and none of the back end overreact to the eye candy. They are prepared to a level that allows them to read AND react, instead of just reacting, without looking like they are thinking. It's a delicate balance, but this is a great sign heading into a matchup with a Malzahn coached offense.

Offensively, we'll start with the bad, while trying to keep in mind what I said about Morton's injury impacting the offense as a whole. I've mentioned how bad our receivers are at blocking a few times, and I noticed that we started trying something different to mitigate that some, just straight double teaming the most dangerous man. This isn't a bad idea, but it lowers the ceilings on these quick screens in general, and makes them even more infuriating when you still can't block them. When I saw this alignment and play in real time I started celebrating. This alignment should, at the very least, result in a big play, and has a pretty good chance to score. Instead, it doesn't even gain a yard. Why? The DB being double teamed still wins his matchup because he forces McCray back inside, and because he's forced inside he doesn't have the space to make a move and just tries get what he can through the bulldozer method. With Morton compromised and the box stacked against Brooks, these plays have to be successful. Apples to oranges I'm sure, but when I had receivers who struggled blocking, we would use the cross-block method in order to create advantageous blocking angles (like zone blocking schemes with the OLine). In this case, I would have Bradley block the outside corner and Eakin block the inside corner.

Similarly, we've got to have something off this motion, especially with all the attention Tahj creates. Watch the LBs and secondary as the motion happens, there's some adjustment, but everyone is still focused on Tahj. Hand it to McCray, fake to Tahj then throw to McCray, look outside for a quick slant, or even send one of the TEs up the seam. The Tahj workload feels unsustainable, so some of this stuff will save him, but also open up the box for when you do hand it off.

As frustrated as I have been with the offense, and was on Saturday, upon rewatch I noticed that there are some creative wrinkles being added. The first play in this clip is a great example of tendency breaking, almost every time Tech motions a TE into the back field like that they are either going to "wham block" the end man on the line of scrimmage or pull for some kind of counter. Instead, they are running same side lead which looks like it opening up pretty nicely.

I love this second play. Two H backs, motion, and a counter blocking scheme. Nothing better. The offensive line gets to wash everything down and now Tahj, essentially, has two lead blockers. It's not a huge gain, but those are the types of plays that pop, and have plenty of other options off that same look.

For the third play, WE HAVE TWO BACKS, yes I know one is Sparkman as a TE, but I'm going to count it based on formation. Watch the amount of space that is created by this formation and then the run fake to Tahj. This is exceptional play design and I hope to see more out of this formation. I even like Sparkman at TE some, he has the size and athleticism to do some things, maybe we've finally found a place he can best use his skill set.

This last play is more of what we've wanted to see, variations successful plays to build on and create more success. We have an orbit motion here, one that we actually throw to occasionally so watch how the defense is forced to adjust to it. That motion adjustment creates easier blocking angles for the same-side TE counter that the offensive line is running. Throwing some same-side runs into the script is another easy way to make the LBs a half-step slow in reading the play. Finally, all of this sets up an easy RPO read for a team playing a one high safety look.

This team is still getting better, the coaches are still innovating, and the players are still playing incredibly hard. I know this season has been frustrating, but those three things are good signs for the program as whole. I'm not sure we have enough points in us to beat UCF, but there's no chance I'm betting against this team at the moment. One more win and the season isn't an abject disaster, and you can go into Austin with nothing to lose. I'm looking forward to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News