ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts…

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Already posted some of this in a few other threads, but some of my thoughts tonight after leaving the game:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what is being called at times. For example: Backed up to your own 1 yard line with a true freshman QB, you make a great playcall with an RPO slant. Great call to take advantage of what’s going on with K-state stacking the box. Great call that gets you some room, a first down, and then puts K-state in conflict.

Instead of sticking with similar RPOs or complimentary passing plays to help build your freshman QB’s confidence, string some yardsge together, and put K-state into continual conflict by giving the best player on your offense the ball to keep those RPOs and short pass plays open, you…..decide it’s bomb squad time??

There just seems to be no conviction or thoughtfulness about stressing defenses. Nothing about the offense consistently stresses defenses or puts them in conflict.

You’re very predictable as well. @T. Beadles and I both called the sweep to McCray and the shift-to-empty play where we cut block with the OL and threw the ball to the short side of the field. K-State knew what was coming, because it was EXACTLY the same motion and formation we ran last week against Baylor.

Speaking of Baylor last week: That gameplan seemed to be dead on with what your identity should be. Run it, run it some more, throw off the run in complementary pass plays that are set up by your run game, and take shots when you get a good matchup. I was at that game, and the offense was calm, cool, collected, and seemed to be a big step in the right direction towards running an offense with an identity.

Where was that tonight when you brought in a true freshman, who has been essentially running the first team offense in practice for three straight weeks? That gameplan you ran out there against Houston and Baylor is one your freshman QB should be able to execute, and it keeps giving your stud RB the ball, gets your tight ends involved in the passing game, and keeps the game calmed down.

Deciding to completely abandon the run game down 3 points was boggling, and even after two bad interceptions, you continue to keep letting him chuck it downfield.

And the whole “heavy box” argument. I just disagree with it. You can throw it to the flats, run RPOs, and still keep feeding Brooks with run plays if you in turn are bringing in blockers to account for the heavy box. K-State couldn’t have cared less about a heavy box with their true freshman quarterback.

Sorry for the long post. This offense just isn’t being setup for success, and it’s confounding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News