ADVERTISEMENT

Putting my dog down today

DFWRaider2

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2004
DFW
So my pup has had diabetes, was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a couple of months ago, and her kidneys are starting to fail which has led to her not eating. She hasn't had a regular meal in at least 3 days, isn't taking her meds, and isn't even eating treats. She's still wagging her tail, going on walks, and being happy enough but the vet has said that as her kidney issue progresses she will be uncomfortable and potentially in pain. Plus, her not eating is especially bad given that she has to get insulin.

Lilly was my Dad's dog, and when he passed away in 2019 she came to live with me. She's a miniature poodle and is the first dog I've had that isn't a lab, and though poodles are not a breed that would usually be a preference for me, Lilly is one of the sweetest creatures on this earth. She was abused as a puppy and Dad got her as a rescue; she's always been nervous because of the abuse but over the years has gotten to really trust and enjoy being around people. I feel like she and I have been to war together dealing with the loss of my Dad and her various health issues (including having to give her two shots a day the past few years -- neither she nor I were really happy about that but we made it work). Dad absolutely adored this dog so I felt like I need to give her the best life I could.

I'm taking her to the vet at 5:15. She's been on a walk today and it's been a good day, which has only made me second guess whether I should do this. Then I think about her not eating and I realize that every day she doesn't eat is one step closer to her starting to have severe, uncomfortable issues. Dogs can easily pick up when you're upset so I've been pretty careful not to act sad around her, but this is a gut wrenching day. It feels really surreal in a bad way to be sitting here playing with her knowing that in a few hours she'll be gone.

This is the third pet I've had to do this with and it never gets easier. They truly are family and there will be a serious void here in a few hours.
420713215_10233651658059295_5831491276520082084_n.jpg

362606613_10232506648634775_5356657432060405189_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News