ADVERTISEMENT

Overlooked from Pro Day Thread

raydurz

Red Raider
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2005
Lubbock
There was something in the Pro Day thread that I thought would garner more attention. It did from me, but I was gone over the weekend for a trip and not much was posted on it, here it is....quoting from the staff person in attendance:

"-Polk and Fortenberry looked rather pedestrian in their drills. Both didn't show any type of athleticism really and Polk benched the same amount as Marquez (12) and Fortenberry I think was around 20 or so which was behind both Kenny and VJ. Rodney Hall also didn't have a very good day either unfortunately. He looked slow and lacks good hands."

I've seen a lot of things questions lots of places on our road to 4-8 and football obscurity. I've seen our trainers and strength coaches ballyhooed and blamed. But to me, that tidbit from Pro Day begs the question.....How are two OL, recently graduated, one who started and the other who played quite a bit, how on earth can one OL not out bench a wide receiver and both just not be strong at all? I know there are some physics and that benching for a tall guy is tougher than for a short guy, but come on.....I know the player is responsible ultimately, but man, did they lose that much in that short of period of time? How did they play so much if indeed they were not work-out warriors? Is this strength coach or line coach?

Of all the things posted on here, this to me is almost unforgivable.

My question I thought Fortenberry was lazy. He started every game. We play so few OL. I am continually shocked that players like Trey Keenan, Josh Outlaw, Poet Thomas, etc. cannot be worked in for a series here and there. ESPECIALLY, WHEN I FIND OUT ABOUT FORTENBERRY AND POLK BEING PHYSICALLY SO WEAK! We rotate on the DL, somewhat in the secondary (mostly due to injuries), we rotate at linebacker, running back, and receiver, but we never rotate or sub in secondary players in the OL. In any game, for the last few years. We cannot develop depth I hear, no depth I hear. But we don't even play the kids we have. And when I see a performance like Fortenberry did this year and then at his Pro Day, it makes me question how hard we are really working and how much are we really demanding. Keenan was light I guess, but I'd rather have had a kid going hard and a little lighter, but stronger.

I think that comment begged for some criticism, so there it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News