ADVERTISEMENT

Our board is fun after a loss, goodness

kreed07

Matador
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ashburn, VA
I usually try to do a thread when I am eating breakfast with my toddler before church but figured I would type something out now.

For the first time since I think 1990 we are now 0-2. This honestly sucks but that is where we are. The good news is we have Tarleton St rolling into town which will hopefully allow us to get this boat turned around. Being 1-2 in the pre-con is rough and a lot of frustration. I do think we have a good chance the next four games of starting to turn it around. Tar, WVU, Houston and Baylor are all VERY beatable teams.

The good:
  • For the 2nd straight week our defense allowed 10 points (not counting a short field FG). DeRuyter has been great at second half adjustments and that hasn't changed. Honestly after Lux got burned for the 72 Yard TD, we stepped up and played a lot better. Holding Bo Nix in check to only 2 TDs is a win. Going forward I am excited about how our defense will be playing.
  • Tech also did good on 3rd downs converting 8/13 and actually ran the ball at 5.4 yards a rush. Keeping the penalties, we only had 6 to Oregon's 14.
  • Mason Tharp, welcome back with some amazing plays.
  • Garcia imho played better. Pretty sure he missed a 50+ FG which is a tough kick.

Now the bad
  • We are not good enough to turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win a game. That has to be fixed ASAP. I don't know if it is how we call our protection, giving shorter routes or something. Shough has 4 picks now to 6 TDs. We need him to be better.
  • Our RBs have been useless this year and that needs to change. It is nice to see the 174 yards on the ground but Brooks needs to touch the ball more then 10 times a game. Also welcome to the stat line Anquan Willis.
  • We are still missing the ALPHA on offense. Someone has to step up but I don't see it this team.
  • For the 2nd straight game we had some questionable coaching decisions. We went for two too early imho and then the 4th down on our end of the field. I felt that we should have punted it and make them work for that FG.
Final thought. Taking this game in a vacuum, losing to Oregon is not what I was hoping for. I thought we would be an 8 win team and right now my count is still around 7 (before the bowl). We played a lot more talented team and took them down to the wire (Oregon is all speed and top 10 recruiting classes). If we had limited turnovers we would have won (or got the pick in the endzone, this game is a game of inches). We are going to get on the W board next week and hopefully start the train rolling moving into conference play. Lets beat Tarleton and get that nasty 0-2 flavor out of our mouths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News