ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official NBA Playoffs Thread ***

DWDJR

Throw to Baylor Cupp
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
I said I wouldn't start this until the playoffs were officially set but I am sitting at a computer now and might not be tonight and for sure wont be tomorrow morning before the Mavs game so here we go.

Predictions:

Suns over Pels in 4 or Clips in 5
Mavs over Jazz in 7 assuming Luka shows up in game 4 or earlier otherwise Jazz in 6
Warriors over Nugs in 6
Grizz over Wolves in 6

Suns over Mavs in 6 or Jazz in 4
Warriors over Grizz in 6

Suns over Warriors in 6

Heat over whomever in 5
76ers over Raptors in 7
Bucks over Bulls in 5
Celtics over Nets in 7

Heat over 76ers in 7
Bucks over Celtics in 6

Bucks over Heat in 6

Suns over Bucks in 7

First Round thoughts:

Suns/??: Suns roll. Clips length might win them a game or two but thats about it. This is honestly the least interesting series to watch for me and if theres something else on tv I'll probably be watching it over this series. Suns are elite and better than they were last year when they easily could have won a title. Clips might not even be here because apparently Covid is still a thing. When the possibilities are the bitch ass Clippers or constant speculation on if an obese man will return I'm good with just skipping this one. Just nobody on the Suns get hurt and we can start the fun with them in 2 weeks.

Mavs/Jazz: Everything depends on Luka, obviously. Mavs have won at a 62 win rate since they got their lineup back from Covid at the end of December. That includes material pre trade and post trade sample sizes. With Luka they are probably the Wests second best team. Without Luka? A team thats already only going to go 8 deep can still win a game and MAYBE two but they aren't winning a series against any top 8 team in the West. The Mavs play the slowest tempo in the NBA, the Jazz are fairly slow themselves, the Mavs defense and 3 point defense in particular is pretty good, both teams heavily dependent on the 3. Slow pace leading to low possession totals and heavy 3 point dependency? Tells me even small weird shooting variance and luck will feel massive in a series and in this sport massive shooting variance game to game isn't uncommon. That makes me pretty confident even without Luka its going to be 1-1 going to Utah. From there Luka just has to be able to play. If he can I think the Mavs win. If he can't I could see the Mavs getting game 5 back in Dallas when down 3-1 (plus because Luka is almost assuredly back by then) but I cant see them winning the series.

Dubs/Nugs: Going to be a delight of a series. Probably the leagues 2 most enjoyable watches in Steph and Jokic. Next year when Jamaal Murray and MPJ are healthy Denver wins this series (assuming MPJ becomes himself again). This year there is too much depth and defense on the Warriors for Jokic to beat them alone. Steph's injury probably really benefited Klay as he started looking more and more like himself throughout that time period where Steph was hurt. Kinda feels like the Clips/Mavs series of years past. One absurdly dominant player on one side with not nearly enough help trying to drag his team by a squad that is fully built and has their own superstar.

Grizz/Wolves: Please dont just view this as two small market teams and not watch. Several casual people will. This will be by far the series with the most entertaining games even if the result isn't as in doubt as some others. Two of the fastest paces in the league. Two uber athletic players in Ja and Ant on each side. Two home crowds that currently have more excitement for their franchise than they have had in over a decade. But for two teams that feel so similar in how inexperienced they are, athletic they are, and how fast they play the Wolves have significantly more defensive lapses (KAT is a disgraceful defender that Ja/JJJ will destroy in the PnR) and I cant see any way they win the series. They'll shoot their way to some wins but they aren't winning. But damn will it be a fun watch.

Heat/??: The Heat are good. The Heat have extensive playoff experience. The Heat have an elite coach. This wont be competitive regardless of who it is. Hope its Atlanta because Trae is more fun than the Cavs young guys but it doesnt matter. The nights this series is on will probably be the nights I do other stuff besides watch basketball.

76ers/Raptors: The Raptors are really good and haven't been watched enough. The 76ers have had some absolute mindboggling stretches of awful play, either in a game or across a group of games, combined with stretches they look like the best team in the league. Siakam is healthy this year and back to playing like a stud. VanVleet and Trent is a fun as hell backcourt. They have tons of length on the wings. You'll see some people picking the Raptors but I just think if its even remotely close the best player in the series decides the series and the 76ers have the best two.

Bucks/Bulls: Bulls have been a fun watch this year. Probably seeded one higher if they didnt have a long stretch of injuries in the middle of the season and they'd have a great chance at the 76ers. But I also have an entire career of data to look back on to see what DeRozan turns into in the playoffs. Hes gotten better with it but its still just so hard for a guy whos that ball dominant, that midrange dependent, and not an elite facilitator to win playoff series. And do I think he can do it in a series against the champs with the best player in the world along with two other elite defenders to throw at him and LaVine? Not a chance.

Celtics/Nets: I have absolutely no clue who wins this series. Nets still have the 3rd best odds at winning a championship despite everything they've done to themselves this year (spare me the adversity crap) and putting themselves down at a 7 seed with the most absurdly difficult path possible. The Nets still have a top 5 player in the world, a top 12ish player in the world, some decent role players, and the Celtics will be without their best rim protector. I almost kinda think the Nets will win now while typing it out. But despite all of this no matter if they have both KD and Kyrie out there or if they don't they just never looked consistent or dominate at any point this year and its hard to feel like its changing this late into the year. I think bringing Ben Simmons back around game 5 like some reports say is possible is just going to make that worse. They'll be close to or potentially even the favorites next season but a game 7 in Boston makes me think the Celtics win the series but I have no clue.

This is as wide open as I can remember it being.

Not getting the feeling Luka will be playing at all. I think he/team is worried about what happened to KD.

Warriors over Celtics in 7.

Reactions: DWDJR
This is as wide open as I can remember it being.

Not getting the feeling Luka will be playing at all. I think he/team is worried about what happened to KD.

Warriors over Celtics in 7.
I'm taking some hope in the fact everyone in the organization and every member of local media has been very optimistic while everyone has said KDs was much worse than the Warriors ever let on.

I don't care what Woj tweets about it. His "severe concern for game 2" comments mean nothing to me. He has zero connections inside the Mavs. Cuban despises him and has threatened to fire people over giving Woj information before. Woj can get information from both parties on trades or free agency stuff but on an injury like this without sources within the Mavs he doesn't know much. Townsend, Cato, Callie Caplan, MacMahon, Stein are your people on this one. My gut still tells me its game 3 if they get blown out in one of the two (or both) in Dallas or game 4 if its 1-1 and both games were competitive. Him jogging on a treadmill yesterday is encouraging to me

I'll be in the building tomorrow and might snag some tickets for Monday night if I can convince the wife to go twice.

Reactions: pcbryan999
From OP’s keyboards to whoever needs to see it to make it happen. Amen!
I think if the jersey said Lakers or Miami or they didnt blow the 2-0 lead last year the wide open narrative wouldn't be there as much as it is.

I think if the jersey said Lakers or Miami or they didnt blow the 2-0 lead last year the wide open narrative wouldn't be there as much as it is.
Probably but the first ones always the toughest to get…and we don’t have a top 5 player. It’s tough as shit to win a championship without one of those.

We’re damn good, but we take bad shots analytically. We shot a ton of mid-range shots, few 3’s, few free throws. We foul a lot. Our stats say we shouldn’t be this good and yet…we are.

I’m cautiously optimistic because of how good CP3/Book/Mikal/Ayton and the role players are but I’m also ready to get my heart ripped to shreds again so it is what it is.

Probably but the first ones always the toughest to get…and we don’t have a top 5 player. It’s tough as shit to win a championship without one of those.

We’re damn good, but we take bad shots analytically. We shot a ton of mid-range shots, few 3’s, few free throws. We foul a lot. Our stats say we shouldn’t be this good and yet…we are.

I’m cautiously optimistic because of how good CP3/Book/Mikal/Ayton and the role players are but I’m also ready to get my heart ripped to shreds again so it is what it is.
Well you get a cakewalk first series and then a Jazz team thats on the verge of implosion or a team you havent lost to in 2 years to get the conference finals. You should get there playing significantly less games than the Warriors/Grizz do.

Well you get a cakewalk first series and then a Jazz team thats on the verge of implosion or a team you havent lost to in 2 years to get the conference finals. You should get there playing significantly less games than the Warriors/Grizz do.
I don’t think anything is a cakewalk in the playoffs, lol.

People think we were healthy all last playoffs (this is the excuse they say as to why we made the finals), but they forget CP3 played 5 games of the Lakers series with a dead arm and missed 2 games of the Clippers series with COVID. Book also broke his nose. Dario Saric tore his ACL. Plenty of things can happen.

I don’t think anything is a cakewalk in the playoffs, lol.

People think we were healthy all last playoffs (this is the excuse they say as to why we made the finals), but they forget CP3 played 5 games of the Lakers series with a dead arm and missed 2 games of the Clippers series with COVID. Book also broke his nose. Dario Saric tore his ACL. Plenty of things can happen.
Yea but you cant predict injuries. If you get screwed on injury luck you get screwed. The suns should have the best odds by a pretty good margin.

Reactions: B. Golan
Yea but you cant predict injuries. If you get screwed on injury luck you get screwed. The suns should have the best odds by a pretty good margin.
Best odds don’t get me a ring, dammit.

16 wins.

I've always said Nick Wright is the worlds smartest NBA analyst.

But like all men he is still flawed. Luka obviously still the GOAT with missing a playoff game.

Reactions: ryane836
No doubt some will complain about a 36 win team making the playoffs over a 42 win team but of those 6 games 5 of them were great watches. This has been a great thing for the league.

Thinking I want the Philly -7.5 and Warriors -7 tonight. No Barnes for Toronto might be a killer. Hope this playoffs doesnt become as injury riddles as last year. Jokic just doesn't have enough help and Steph will start playing more and more.

Luka went through shootaround today. Thursday is looking positive.

Thinking I want the Philly -7.5 and Warriors -7 tonight. No Barnes for Toronto might be a killer. Hope this playoffs doesnt become as injury riddles as last year. Jokic just doesn't have enough help and Steph will start playing more and more.

Luka went through shootaround today. Thursday is looking positive.
I also had Mavs +5.5 but was too puckered to post it. 3-0 would pay for half the beers I had tonight. Steph never lets me down

We need more people like Redick willing to publicly shit on these takes that old basketball was better.

Dont even get me started on the 80s.
Craig Miller on the Ticket puts it the right way. Something along the lines of “name your 70’s superstar was being guarded by a bunch of guys who look like our dads”.

That old Nike commercial where Pippen was playing against 60’s and 70’s players had it right.

Craig Miller on the Ticket puts it the right way. Something along the lines of “name your 70’s superstar was being guarded by a bunch of guys who look like our dads”.

That old Nike commercial where Pippen was playing against 60’s and 70’s players had it right.
I hear so many people talk about how the height of basketball was Lakers-Celtics in the 80s. You can find those games on Youtube if you want. Its the worst basketball I've ever seen. Like I get the idea of throwing an outlet pass up ahead was pretty damn revolutionary at the time but stop it. Today is the height of basketball and its only getting better.

• Haha
Reactions: LakeRanger
Playoffs are all of 5 days old and we have Luka whos missed 2 games and its 50/50 if one more is added to that, Booker set to miss games, and now Middleton set to miss games.

I really hope this doesn't turn into something similar to last season where stars getting hurt massively impacted every series.

Thankfully this offseason we finally get a normal length offseason and hopefully that helps with late season injuries that could be related to bodies just running out of gas and breaking down.

Playoffs are all of 5 days old and we have Luka whos missed 2 games and its 50/50 if one more is added to that, Booker set to miss games, and now Middleton set to miss games.

I really hope this doesn't turn into something similar to last season where stars getting hurt massively impacted every series.

Thankfully this offseason we finally get a normal length offseason and hopefully that helps with late season injuries that could be related to bodies just running out of gas and breaking down.
As long as Booker being out means the Suns lose, I’m good.

As long as Booker being out means the Suns lose, I’m good.

200.gif

I guess when you are down 2-0 its time to try some shit but I just can't see this going well. Simmons has such a weird skillset and hes going to need to adjust to a new role with the ball not being in his hands. Doing so in the middle of a playoff series feels like impending disaster.

But damn the defense will get a hell of a boost.

Ben Simmons isn't going to help Steve Nash implement a real offense or help the nets hit shots, so basically a non-factor

Ben Simmons isn't going to help Steve Nash implement a real offense or help the nets hit shots, so basically a non-factor
Ben Simmons would be the best roll man and rim runner in the league if he accepts a role of setting screens for Kyrie and KD, rim running, and playing 4 on 3 after the inevitable trap or hard hedge on Kyrie/KD.

You're just not getting that for the first time in the middle of a playoff series.

2 weeks would put game 1 of the second round in jeopardy. 3 weeks would be mid series.

Not Shams or Woj but a local Milwaukee guy. That would make best case scenario late into the second round

Yeah I still think it's more likely he plays game 4 than tonight, but he's definitely close
I'd be down for 20 minutes off the bench. 0% chance its worse than Burke and Green minutes.

Cant let Steph Curry run away with the playoffs best 6th man title anyways

Celtics v Nets series has been must watch! And I hate both teams but like KD! Thank the lord Lebron is not in playoffs and the insufferable amount of coverage...this from a die hard laker growing up.

I'd be down for 20 minutes off the bench. 0% chance its worse than Burke and Green minutes.

Cant let Steph Curry run away with the playoffs best 6th man title anyways
Would love for that scenario, but it seems like it's an all or nothing situation

I just think your play this as cautious as possible with Luka. If resting him 2 more days assures it won’t get worse, do it.

Tonight is a freebie, IMHO.

The KD stuff has people spooked but they're entirely different injuries in where on the calf it was and how severe. Everything I've read says his worst case at this point seems to be reaggravating it and missing the rest of the playoffs. The achillies is their concern it seems. But if you sit him too long to avoid that risk and lose then what was the point? At some point you just accept the risks and make the decision and it looks like they're very close to that breaking point.

I'm fine either way because even he comes back for game 4 and Utah still wins that game while hes working his way back in at 3-1 I still think Luka brings the Mavs back to win but I think I'm playing him tonight.

Reactions: T. Beadles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT