ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Numbers Of Note: BYU pres. by Js Salsa

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
The Red Raiders are looking to get back on track after a deflating loss to Kansas State a week ago against a BYU squad that hasn’t been exactly excellent this season.

Texas Tech is headed into a homecoming, night game environment that is sure to be raucous, one that I personally am excited to be in attendance for.

One of my favorite storylines heading into this one is the BYU running back, the former Tech commit and one of the prospects that Joey McGuire and James Blanchard offered on their first day in Lubbock, LJ Martin.

The BYU run game has been pretty brutal, to be frank, so hopefully a bounce back is in store for the Red Raider this weekend.

The veteran Kedon Slovis is the quarterback for the Cougars, he’s been around and is once again having a solid season. He struggled a bit in Fort Worth last weekend, but the entirety of the Cougar roster did as well.

Now, the usual chart breakdown from @statsowar on twitter.

Tech is fourth in the nation in EPA/Rush, maybe they should use it more, just a thought.

I’m interested to see if the Red Raiders can be more effective on early downs on both sides of the ball, somewhere the Cougars have been flat out bad this season. Tech hasn’t been excellent in their own right on first and second downs this season, but they’ve been pretty successful on late down conversions.

A lot of BYU’s struggles on late downs has to do with the distance to go, which has been quite high this season, especially against TCU where it was nine yards. It all circles back to the run game that just has not been very good at all.

As you can see, the BYU offense has been anemic, they’ve struggled to generate positive plays based on situation (EPA) and sustain quality possessions (Eckel rate) while getting the ball in great position.

Speaking of field position, a side note, this game will have two of the best punters in the country this weekend. Austin McNamara for Tech and BYU’s Ryan Rehkow are the top two active career leaders in FBS.

I think the Tech offense is a smidge overrated by the metrics, especially in its current personnel state, so I would take this score projection with a grain of salt.

Once again, Tech is fourth in the nation in EPA/Rush, maybe they should use it more, just a thought.

cvkqsas99yezrr0t7ckm

J’s Salsa is owned and operated by a Texas Tech Grad and ready to be your next tailgate staple this season! Packed with fresh ingredients and bold flavors, both the original and hot salsa will leave you begging for the next bite!

Look for our red and black jars on shelves at most United Supermarkets, Market Streets and Albertsons Markets in Texas and New Mexico. Also available at H-E-B in Lubbock and Plano!

J’s Salsa Company is a red raider owned family business. Visit our website at
www.jsalsacompany.com to learn more or ship anywhere in the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News