ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: More Iowa State Thoughts (pres. by Fields of Gold)

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Dec 30, 2015
Baylor Cupp has a bright future at Tech. There aren't too many tight ends built like him and he's just been riddled with injuries in his young career. I'm not sure that he's had a full off-season yet. I predict he's going to be a real factor sooner than later, but definitely when he's an upperclassman. He played 55 of our 60 snaps yesterday. Was absolutely blanketed in the endzone when he caught that TD.

Shout out to Jerand Bradley. Maybe the highest % of snaps played by him on the season and it came following a head injury off an unbelievable catch in traffic against TCU. He caught some big 5-yard hitches yesterday in arctic temperatures and was difficult to bring down after the catch. He's still crazy young. The future is really bright for him.

Just 20 snaps played yesterday for SaRodorick and only 22 against Kansas. Something weird is going on there but you wouldn't know it if you watched him on the sideline. I don't think anyone is more into the game / wants to win like he does. He runs so damn hard. Something good happens almost every time he touches the ball. I'm going to assume he's a little dinged up + Tahj might be a tad better as a pass catcher is what's keeping him off the field. As much as I love the Cam Valdez experience, I am vehemently opposed to him taking snaps or carries away from a fully-healthy SaRodorick.

Speaking of bright futures, Nehemiah Martinez is going to be really good. Already is. Maybe the loudest 33 yards on 3 catches & 3 targets (just 10 routes run) that I've seen. Picked up 2 first downs and was just a menace to tackle. Every announcer this season confuses him with our 235 pound bruiser runningback (Tahj).

Caleb Rogers with an 87 pass blocking grade on PFF. He's starting to figure things out.

Sort of a tough day for Jacoby Jackson. A massive holding penalty and then he missed an assignment / whiffed on a guy the same possession. But he's ridiculously young. 19 year olds aren't supposed to play that many snaps at OL in Big 12 games. It's going to pay dividends one day.

I really, really hope we can figure out a way to keep Tony Bradford and Jaylon Hutchings around for next season. They are an underrated duo in this conference. Considering the mileage we've received out of them over the years, I can't think of 2 better candidates for a fat ass NIL bribery to run it back next year. They do it all. Hutchings is an elite pass-rushing interior DL with legit quick-twitch stuff going on. They also were the catalysts for Myles Cole being able to block that FG before the first half.

The same goes for Rayshad Williams (and Malik Dunlap). Whatever it takes, I want them back for another year in DeRuyter's system. Playing press man coverage and, largely, getting away with it in the Big 12 is a hell of a drug. It allows you to do so many other things with the rest of your defense. I shudder to think what Xavier Hutchinson would've done to us if we didn't have #0 on him most of the night.

One of the bigger questions for the Spring will be who replaces Muddy Waters. It's probably going to be someone with a much different skill set. Muddy's combination of coverage skills, pass rushing ability, and solid run support from a hybrid DB can't be found on most rosters. What an absolute steal he was in the portal. But an even bigger coup was McGuire and company being able to keep him around, despite his connection (Coach Jones) moving on.

Next week is going to be a lot tougher than we might think. OU is feeling a lot better about themselves. They are dangerous.

B96510FE-7CA5-493C-8617-803444CAD497.png

Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation.

The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma.

https://shop.summerlandwinebrands.com/Shop/Fields-of-Gold

@Saynotobarefoot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News