ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Air Raiders ready for challenge at the TBT Tournament pres. by Energy Renovation Center

C. Champlin

Rookie Red Raider
Staff
Sep 17, 2021
Lubbock, Texas
Today RedRaiderSports.com caught up with the Air Raiders team as they prepare for the TBT Tournament. The Air Raiders are a team of Texas Tech Basketball Alumni who have come together for a chance to win $1,000,000 against other NCAA alumni teams. This team's roster is filled with Texas Tech alumni, other pros/past NCAA players, and is led by Texas Tech assistant Luke Adams. The #4 Seed Air Raider's first matchup will begin in Wichita on July 22nd vs. the #5 Seed B1 Ballers at 4:00 pm EDT. The game will be aired on ESPN 3 and if the team advances to the second round, will play the winner of the #1 Seed “After Shocks” or the #8 Seed “We are D3.”

Some notes:

Head Coach Luke Adams:
"It feels great to be in this position and it is stressful but a lot of fun and we are just trying to figure out how to build a team with guys that have never played together. We are really just trying to get them to play for one another and play together. It's been a good challenge."
"Andrew Sorrells and Clark Lammert were the ones who asked me to be the head coach and I was honored to do it. First, I had to ask them who was on the team because I didn't want to set myself up with bad players but once I heard a lot of the names mentioned I knew I wanted to do it. I had to watch a lot of film just to see how the style was and it has been really interesting."
"Honestly, I think these guys have high expectations and I do as well so I don't think there is going to be anybody putting any pressure other than ourselves in this situation, but we are excited about it and I think it will be a good challenge. Our deal is just trying to get them to come together and just focus on the process. Everyone wants to win it and we just have to focus on one day at a time, one practice at a time, and one possession at a time.
"There is a lot of pride being here at Texas Tech and I don't think you can be good at anything you do if you don't have any pride in what you're doing. For us, we have a very competitive group and that is a good sign so hopefully, once adversity sets in, we respond the right way."
"I think they (non-TTU alumni players on the team) have done a great job and those guys have a lot of experience. Those guys have really transitioned well and offensively have caught on to a lot of concepts that we're trying to do and we're trying to keep it simple. There is only so much you can do in four days of practice but defensively they have done very well and I am really impressed with them."
"I am most excited to compete and coach against some really good players and they're all really talented. You have euro league players so the pressure is good and it is really fascinating to see all of those guys and we are ready for the challenge."
"It is hard to prepare because this B1 Baller's team is a different team than they were last year. For example, we haven't played a game yet so it will be very interesting to see how they prepare for us. You kinda have to look at and go by the personal and tendencies from playing at their last professional team."

Justin Gray:
"I can't even put into words how amazing this Womble facility is. This was pretty much what we struggled for and what we went through with all the tough times. This is what we wanted to do, we wanted to build a facility for the basketball program because we and the players deserve it. It is beautiful and sometimes I catch myself sitting in here and just staring because I remember just being in the USA and sharing one gym with four different teams. This is awesome and it is everything I dreamed of it being and I am excited to be able to have access to it."
"I have lots of pride in being able to lay the foundation for Texas Tech basketball. We wanted to get Texas Tech on the map and (Chris) Beard came here and turned everything around and the rest has been history."
"Once I was asked to join the team and I found out the guys on the roster like Matt Mooney and Zach Smith were playing, it was a no-brainer and it has been everything that I thought it'd be. Training camp has been tough and Coach Adams has been on us and he has been watching us in practice so it has been awesome. It has been a really cool experience just to come back four years later and experience the facilities really for the first time and get to run around with the guys."
"The non-alumni guys have gelled with us really well and have bought into the defense that we are trying to teach. They're always open to any suggestions that we've had to make them better and everyone knows Texas Tech has the best defense so they've been really open to it. It has been super cool seeing them adapt to it and they've done a great job."
"We are all pros here and practice has been very efficient. These have definitely been the toughest TBT practices that I have ever been a part of but it has been a lot different than the normal Texas Tech practice. Usually, I was in school mode so if we'd have an injury, we'd get the treatment, suck it up, and play, but now if any of us get hurt we know we have to do what's best for us as pros and do something else for the team."
"What I am looking forward to the most is being able to represent the brand and putting on the Texas Tech jersey again. I'm excited to get to play with guys like Tariq who came here the year I left and someone who I'd never think I'd get to play with. Looking at me, Tariq, and Zach all playing together on defense, I know it is going to be crazy."
"Luke Adams has done a great job so far and everyone is bought in. I know if we play, the Texas Tech way, I think we have a really great chance of winning it all and defense is what is going to win us games, so that is what comes first."
"Mark Adams is a family guy and still calls me, my Mom, and my Dad to just check on us and that is what I have been trying to tell the current players and also to not take him for granted. He will always have your back and that is what the Texas Tech culture is all about."

Davion Warren:
"I have always watched the TBT tournament so I have always wanted to play in it and once I got the chance to do so with Texas Tech it became a dream come true."
"The practices have been fun and gelling with the past Tech players, coming together as a team, and learning all of the TBT rules has been really cool."
"Being here in Lubbock for this tournament you can see how deep Texas Tech culture really is and just looking from the Justin Gray years to my year last year, how well we know the scheme on offense and defense."

Peter Kiss (2021-22 NCAA Leading Scorer, Bryant University):
"I really just came here to get better and be a part of a winning situation and learn from a bunch of guys who have had success at the pro level."
"It has been a great learning experience and I have learned a lot, particularly on the defensive end and knowing how to guard and how to play side defense."
"We have been working hard the past few days and we are just trying to put it all together and get some wins to lay the foundation down for the next Air Raiders teams."
"They really emphasize defense here in Lubbock and it is something that is different than any program in the country so being able to learn from the best defensive team in the nation is a blessing in my eyes and something that I will certainly not take for granted."

Parker Hicks:
"I am most excited to be able to compete with these guys that we obviously have had several years ago and also bringing in these other guys to show them what Texas Tech is really about. Obviously getting to represent Texas Tech one more time is an experience that we are trying to make the most of and something we are really looking forward to."
"The non-tech guys are true pros and that is one thing that this tournament has and they all know how to play. We are just trying to teach them how we kinda do it around here and show them how the Tech pride and fans are. I think it has been a great experience for them."
"The Womble is crazy, obviously we didn't have this when I was here but we also feel like our teams had a big part of this, and being able to use this amazing facility that we take pride in and call our home has been an awesome experience."

THE TBT TOURNAMENT BRACKET
-
IMG_3487.jpg
The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!
-
Fields of Gold.jpeg
Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation. The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma. https://shop.summerlandwinebrands.com/Shop/Fields-of-Gold

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News