ADVERTISEMENT

3 Keys to the Game - Kansas State Edition (presented by Fields of Gold)

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Dec 30, 2015
Tech's Defensive Front v. Adrian Martinez & Deuce

Kansas State's MO has not been to take the top off defenses. And when they have tried to connect on deep throws, they haven't been particularly effective (on 20+ yard throws: 2/7 48 yards 1 TD).

They have been effective on the ground, though. And you guys have already heard enough about the Adrian Martinez / Deuce Vaughn combo. What stands out about them is that they can both really run. There's homerun capabilities but it's baked into a scheme that is your typical, plodding Kansas State offense. They can beat you on a couple big runs or it could be death by a thousand 5-yard gains.

My confidence in our front is growing and growing.

Tyree Wilson has the most QB pressures in the Big 12. But he also has the most "stops" on run plays ("stop" = tackles on run plays that result in an unsuccessful play for the offense). He's the most productive defensive lineman in the Big 12. Muddy Waters has the 2nd most stops of any DB in the conference. Krishon is Krishon - a run-stuffing MLB. Our interior guys -- Hutchings, Bradford, and Blidi -- are really starting to become a quality unit in this league. Myles Cole is making an impact in a limited role that might be expanding.

Stopping a run-based offense that struggles to throw it deep might be the strength of our defense. We will find out Saturday. If we can shut down their run game, I don't think they are equipped to throw it over the top against Malik Dunlap and Rayshad Williams.

Will Kansas State Destroy our OL?

Caleb Rogers -- No offensive lineman in the country has more sacks attributed to him. Also allowed the 3rd most QB pressures by any OT. #91 Felix Anudike-Uzomah is probably going to have his way with our OTs on Saturday. He's not better than Tyree Wilson, but whoever picked the pre-season All Big-12 team thought he was.

Dennis Wilburn -- Most pressures allowed by any center in the country. #92 Lee Higgins for Kansas State was a force on Saturday against OU. He's probably licking his chops at what Wilburn's put on tape the last few weeks (plus Wilburn is apparently dinged up). I'm not trying to throw shade at Wilburn, just previewing this matchup. Wilburn is a former Javalina from A&M-Kingsville that had no P5 offers out of Juco. He is what he is and I'm glad as shit he came to Tech because he's the best we got.

Monroe Mills - 4th most QB pressures allowed in the Big 12.

Landon Peterson - 6th most QB pressures allowed in the Big 12.

Weston Wright - Probably the best one we got, but he could still be a little dinged up with that high ankle sprain, which is a reoccurring injury from fall camp.

They also have a linebacker #29 Khalid Duke that has a 4-3 defensive end build and is a solid pass rusher.

Kansas State has a good defensive front. There are people in Manhattan who claim it's the strength of their team. However, I do actually think our OL is getting a bit of a break compared to the last 3 weeks. Now, they are playing on the road. And it's going to be a loud environment, which does seem to juice up the home team's pass rush.

Our OL was largely whipped and abused by UT's front. We were just able to overcome it / mask their deficiencies better than we have all year. But if our OL can look just half-ass competent on Saturday, we have a really good chance of winning the game. Really good. I don't know if it's likely, but it's definitely possible.

The Progression of Donovan Smith v. KSU's Defensive Coordinator

I thought this was good insight into what KSU's planning to do to stop our offense and confuse Donovan.

"... [the key is] trying to change some things up.. You got to be able to play man, got to be able to play zone, you got to be able to pressure, got to be able to drop 8. You have to keep changing the picture."

K-State is going to try to confuse him. They're going to try to get after him. And then they're going to drop people and make him throw against 8-man coverages, something he could not do against NC State. Will Donovan take another big step on Saturday? Or will we see him take a step back on the road against a really solid defense that has the benefit of seeing 60 minutes of Donovan dink and dunk all over UT?

This is another spot where the best game of Donovan's career probably equals a win, regardless of whatever else is happening in the game.

B96510FE-7CA5-493C-8617-803444CAD497.png

Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation.

The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma.

https://shop.summerlandwinebrands.com/Shop/Fields-of-Gold

@Saynotobarefoot

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News