ADVERTISEMENT

Red Raider Confidential (Friday, March 28th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
258006.jpg

Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan: time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Any progress with McDonald?

The last time we had spoken with Cowley County CC forward Montrell McDonald, his team had just been knocked out of the regional tournament by Darko Cohadarevic and Seward CC.

At the time, McDonald was emotional about the loss that left his team one games away from the NJCAA Championship Tournament and was in no mood to talk recruiting. Although we were able to get out of him that Texas Tech and Kansas State were his two favorites.

We called him last Monday night, a week and a half later, to see how he’d been doing since the tough defeat.

“I’m alright,” said McDonald. “It’s going a little bit better. We’re on spring break right now so I’m at home and chilling.”

So any progress in the recruiting front?

“No, because my coach said that there’s new schools that are recruiting me and I haven’t talked to him about it yet. We’re going to talk when I get back later this week. He didn’t tell me the names of the schools or anything, he just told me to enjoy my spring break and we’d talk about it when I got back.

“I’m wide open right now, I’m just interested in other schools. I can say that (Texas) Tech and Kansas State have been trying to recruit me hard and they’ve been there for me. They’re at the top but I’m still wide open.”

We wanted some clarification with the term “wide open” because McDonald has always said that the Red Raiders and Wildcats were far ahead of others because of their long term persistence and effort. So could a school coming in at the last minute realistically pull McDonald away from the Big 12 duo?

“I doubt that somebody will come in and ‘wow’ me but I’m going to give anybody an opportunity to talk to me and discuss it. But I doubt if anyone will beat those two. Who knows though, I’m still wide open. I haven’t even sat down and thought about it.”

The Metroplex native likes the two presented because of the way they’ve recruited him but also because of the familiarity McDonald has with both areas. After being at a junior college the last few years in Kansas, he wouldn’t need to adapt to life up North. On the other end of things, McDonald is originally from the Metroplex and that is where his family still lives so he could once again be back with them.

McDonald’s running out of time before signing day so we expect answers to these questions sometime very soon.

“Don’t worry,” responded McDonald. “I’ll finally have more information for you the next time we talk.”

Expect an update on McDonald some time next week.

Okorie on Cohadarevic

We spoke with South Plains College point guard Nick Okorie right after they pulled into town on Sunday evening.

“I just got back into the dorms,” Okorie said. “We’ve been gone since last Sunday. It was a long trip, but it was nice. There were some people waiting for us when we got back. I was kind of surprised, I didn’t think anybody was here because it’s spring break.”

We wanted to find out how the atmosphere compared at the NJCAA Championships in Hutchinson, Kansas.

“It was a packed crowd. We only had 18 to 20 people that were our fans from home. But the local fans normally picked one team that has a big chance of winning and the crowd just kind of goes with them. We played against a Kansas team so there were a lot of fans rooting for them. But after we beat that team, the next game the Kansas people came out and started supporting us.”

The above Kansas team that Okorie referred to is Seward Community College, where fellow Red Raider commit Darko Cohadarevic plays.

“We actually stayed in the same hotel. So we were talking about next year and things that are going to go on and how we’re going to the same school and stuff. We kind of got a feel for each other and how we’re going to the same school. We already know each other now, so that helps out too.

“That was my first time to meet him and he’s a cool guy. He’s laid back and he’s a great talent.”

In the game with the two Tech commits going against each other, Cohadarevic had a team high 21 points in the losing effort.

“I’ve never seen anybody who’s that big and can move like that and shoot. He can shoot real well for a big man. He had a big impact. For our post guys, it wasn’t more of stopping, just trying to contain him. If he went for a shot, we needed to keep our hands in his face. If he came down from a post screen, we needed to show him different looks so he couldn’t read it.”

The impressive performance from Cohadarevic was not a surprise to Okorie and his Texans and he couldn’t help but think about how he would be on the same side as Cohadarevic next year.

“We knew he was going to have the biggest impact on the game. I think it’s going to be nice because he can play more than just one position. He’s an inside and outside guy. That can cause problems for big man trying to step out and guard a 6-foot-8 guy that can make three pointers like a guard.”

The game against Seward was just one of four wins for South Plains before they eventually went on to win the championship. It was an experience that Okorie will remember for the rest of his life.

“We played four games and they were all back to back. There were no real breaks. Our bodies were real worn down and tired but we had to play through it. We had to practice while we were up there too and had walk throughs. Then wake up early in the morning to go eat, and you just can’t get into a deep sleep at night.

“We were on a 19-game winning streak and then we lost several towards the end of the season. For us to struggle as much as we did and then we peaked at the right time and we didn’t lose any. We had a tough road and there weren’t any easy teams that we had to go through.”

When asked about being a leader on the team, Okorie played it modestly and said that it wasn’t just about one person.

“I knew how good our freshmen were and how capable our team was. I just thought if I hit a couple of shots and played intense defense, then I could get our team rolling and play like we were before our five game slump. I knew that if I played like that, then I could get them rolling.”

Okorie was one of the main components of the Texans title and let emotion take over when the buzzer sounded at the end of the championship game.

“When it first goes off, you can’t really explain it. You’re grateful the game is over, you’re tired, and so happy. But at the same time, it doesn’t really hit you that you’re a national champion. The next morning when you wake up is when it really sets in.”

It was mentioned earlier in the week that Tech assistant Chris Beard was in the crowd to watch both Okorie and Cohadarevic.

Okorie talks Tech

Speaking of the Red Raiders, we wanted to find out more about Okorie’s placement at South Plains and whether or not it was a coincidence that the Houston native wound up at a junior college that happened to be just 45 minutes away from the West Texas school.

“When I first came out of high school, it was mainly Tech that got me up here to South Plains. Me and my friend Darryl Ashford always wanted to go to Tech together. But then they backed off him a little bit and I started getting recruited form big time schools. But if I knew if I came close to Tech and did what I had to do, then they’d come around. I didn’t want to push anything. So I waited for Tech pretty much.

Most recently, Okorie had been hearing from schools such as Louisiana Monroe, Tennessee, North Texas, San Diego, and Utah State. But Okorie did not want to pursue those options as his goal to get a scholarship from the Red Raiders.

“It was all my decision in wanting to go to South Plains to be near Tech. There were some other junior colleges I could’ve gone to like Paris and Coffeyville, but I decided to stick with South Plains, knowing that it was a better school and in better condition. Tech was a big reason because I now already have a feel for the surroundings, places around here and the fans.”

Okorie had many opportunities to witness the atmosphere the United Spirit Arena throughout the season. This gave him an idea of what to expect next fall.

“I went to most of the games at home. I sat by the entrance where they run out at, down close to the floor. I’ve seen how tough the Big 12 really is and I know that I have to step my game up once I get there.”

And then there’s the recent coaching switch that gave Pat Knight the head coaching position. Did that ever have an impact on Okorie’s recruitment?

“I was kind of hoping that Bob Knight would be there because he’s the best coach in NCAA basketball history, but I don’t want to change schools because I think Pat Knight will be a great coach. I like him, he’s a nice guy and I know that he’s tough on his players so that makes them play a lot better than a coach that isn’t hard on his players.”

Okorie is ready to finish school and then move down the road to Tech. So what do the Red Raiders see in Okorie?

“I guess they see that I’m a hard worker and an athletic guard that can score and shoot and play defense. I’m best when playing defense and coming off screens. I can shoot off screens real well. I know that Pat Knight has started to let them run up and down the floor and I run up and down the floor real well.”

Over the last couple of weeks, Okorie really showed what he is capable of doing. If his athletic ability can transfer to the next level, Pat Knight might have just picked up a very valuable piece to his future puzzle.

Q&A: Brandon Webb’s father, Terry Webb

When Oklahoma native OL Brandon Webb picked up an offer from Oklahoma this week, the rumors began to fly as to whether or not the young man is now a Sooner lock. We had run into Webb’s father, Terry Webb, on his junior day trip to Tech in February. He had told us some interesting things that we wanted him to share with you all, so we gave him a call.

RRS: What is your advice to Brandon when it comes to the recruiting process?
TW:My advice to him is really simple, just to enjoy the process but don’t get too caught up into it and don’t let it change the person that you were at the beginning.

RRS: How has the process been going for him?
TW: It’s been good so far but it’s like I tell him, it’s real early and that’s why I was encouraging him to look at making a decision as soon as reasonably possible because it gets real hectic when it gets into September thru February. This being his senior year and high school, you can’t go back and do your senior year again and you want the kid to be able to enjoy that.

RRS: You actually played for the Sooners, can you talk about when you played and how your recruiting process was?
TW: I played on the 1973-5 teams at Oklahoma. The recruiting process when I came out, it was almost nothing compared to what it is now. There were no internet, no Rivals and stuff like that ? no calling kids. It was pretty much scouts that walked around looking and that was pretty much it. I took a while but in my situation, I was not nearly as well informed as Brandon is because I came from a poor background and my folks didn’t know much about those types of things. I was pretty much left on my own. When it was OU; that was pretty much all I needed to hear.

RRS: Can you talk about Brandon’s recent offer to OU?
TW: They invited me and Brandon to come up and watch a spring practice and we went up and spent most of the day talking to Coach Patton. We met all the other assistant coaches and talked about their philosophy and what they thought about Brandon and how they looked at him and those types of things. Then we watched them go through some hitting drills and they had a scrimmage that day also. Then we talked and they asked us to come back a couple of more times for practices or watch the spring game. We came home and they offered two days later.

RRS: Were you surprised that they offered?
TW: I wasn’t really expecting them to offer because initially Coach Patton had told us that he wasn’t offering offensive lineman until after the spring evaluation. So yeah, we were expecting it to come but we were expecting it to come later.

RRS: Would you like to see your son go to OU since that is where you attended?
TW: What I told Brandon is what I tell all the coaches that are interest. I tell them that OU was my life and it has nothing to do with my son other than that he knows a lot of the guys that I played with. He’s met a lot of them and he’s heard a lot of the tall tales. But I’ve made it clear to Brandon that should not influence his decision not even a little bit because he’s got to go for all the reasons that are good for him because if he doesn’t, then he’s never going to be happy. Wherever he decides to go, I tell him that he and the offensive line coach have to be able to communicate well with each other and it has to be somebody he can get along with for the next four to five years because the position coach is going to be like his daddy. Other than that, make sure it’s at a place that you feel comfortable in your surroundings. Brandon is pretty much a small town type of kid so in big cities he probably wouldn’t feel comfortable because that’s not the background he comes from.

RRS: Where all have you visited?
TW: We’ve visited Oklahoma State, TU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Arkansas. We haven’t been to Missouri but are planning on making a trip to Missouri.

RRS: Why is taking visits so important to you?
TW: You’re only going to check out the schools that have actually offered you and that’s been our thing from the beginning. When they sent out their information, we sent ours back. Then after that, if they requested film, they were sent tapes and any other information they might want. From that, if they made us an offer then we felt obligated to not only see what the place and coaches were like but also to let them see what Brandon was like in person, personality wise and size wise.

RRS: Any favorites for him right now?
TW: We talk about this daily and I don’t even try to pin him down yet because I know he has a thousand things going on in his mind. Right now all we talk about is what he looks at ? facilities. Most of the facilities don’t have a lot of differences. They’re all quality. The head coaches are all quality. It really starts to boil down. You have to go by your experience as to while your there and go with your gut as an individual. That’s why I can’t make that decision for him.

RRS: Tell me about the trip to Tech for junior day.
TW: Brandon really liked it at Tech. The only negative for him about Tech, would strictly be distance. That would be the only negative. Other than that, he loved it. He loved spending time with some of the offensive lineman. It was just him and the o-line. No coaches or me, just him. He really enjoyed that and he liked the guys. Of course, he gets a long with Littrell and he got to talk to Coach Leach and he got to talk to the offensive line coach and he let him know he really wanted him. It was a really good feeling for him. On the way back, he couldn’t stop talking about how he was surprised he liked it so much because it reminded him so much of home.

RRS: As a kid born and raised in Oklahoma, is it hard for Brandon not to be biased towards either one of the in-state schools in OU or OSU?
TW: I really don’t think it’s hard simply because especially Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are starting to be like this. They’re an in-state school, yes. But they truly recruit nationally. If you look at the rosters, there’s a little Oklahoma flavor but there’s not a lot of Oklahoma flavor, not like their used to be in my day. Kids don’t feel that same kind of loyalty like it may have been years ago.

RRS: Do you hold it against OU that they waited so long to offer?
TW: I don’t think so. Really because we were figuring all along that they were going to offer. Every program and coach has their own time table of how they do things and how they approach the recruiting process. So everything they have led us to believe and showing interest in Brandon, there were no reason in not thinking that they were going to offer him eventually.

RRS: With you wanting Brandon to make his decision soon, do you think it would be by August?
TW: It will definitely be by August, if not before. We were looking at an earlier timetable than that but you have ACT prep classes because he has that coming up on April the 12th, which is the same day as many spring games. But he has ACT tests that he has to take that day and he won’t be out of it till after 12. So it’s doubtful we will make any of those. A lot of them it maybe possible that we might wait till after the high school spring ball period which is when the college coaches can come and watch him and talk to him in person. We may do that. It’s just all according to him. We talk about it every night and right now, he’s just got a thousand things jumbling in his and daddy refuses to take sides either way. For him, that’s unusual for him to do that. He expects my strong opinion, but this is a life step where I’m strictly a sounding board. He’ll ask me what I think and I give him my honest opinion, but it’s nothing earth shaking.

RRS: Do you see a repeat trip to Tech happening in the future at all?
TW: At the moment, I don’t see that in our plans. We have made sure that we went to every university. To be honest, we spent longer at Tech than we have any place we’ve been and that was on purpose because with it being so far away that you just can’t go anytime you feel like it, we decided we’d go on a Friday morning and got down there about 4 or 5 o’clock and spent all day Saturday and came back Sunday afternoon. We spent a lot of time around Lubbock and that’s how we got a good feel of the town. We were driving down University and Brandon said ‘You know Dad, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear I was at home by looking around.’”

Is Bullitt Tech’s to lose?

While football has been consuming a lot of time for Garland safety Terrance Bullitt, he knows that it cannot be a top priority.

“I’m keeping up with my grades is real important to me. I’ve got a 77 in science, but it’s not my strong point. That’d be my first C of the year. Other than that, it’s all A’s and B’s.”

It’s no secret that the Red Raiders have been a big fan of Bullitt’s for quite some time. They’ve made it known to the Naaman Forest standout that they want him at Tech in 2009. But what does the 6-foot-3, 179-pound defensive back think about the situation?

“I’ve had interest in Tech,” said Bullitt. “I want to see what it’s like down there. Coaches said in the letters that they’re sure I’d like it there. They’re graduating five safeties and the have nice facilities and all that. So I want to go down there and see it.

When we spoke with Bullitt last month, he had Tech in the lead but the Kansas Jayhawks close behind. So what’s the latest?

“Yeah, Tech is in the lead. Kansas is kind of going down though. It’s just so cold up there. Also, partly because I want to make sure my parents can come see me play.”

Location is a top factor for Bullitt. With his older brother Melvin Bullitt having played for Aggies the last four years, he’s realized what it means to be able to have the family around while in college. It’s evident by his latest list of favorites.

“My top three would be Tech, Oklahoma State, and A&M. I’ve liked Oklahoma State for a while, Tech recruits me the most, and A&M I like it down there because I have family down there.

“I’m not going to go anywhere far. I’ve never been outside of Texas.”

To make things more interesting in the Bullitt recruitment, the Metroplex DB and his family have set a deadline.

“It’ll be hard, but I talked to my dad about it and we have it made up our minds that I’m going to make my final decision before the season starts. Even if it Tech was perfect when I went to visit in April, I’d still want to see the other options and all that.”

So, if Bullitt pulls the trigger before the season starts, would he go on other officials during the year? How big of a deal is a verbal commitment to him?

“Well, if I commit and go see UCLA then I’ll just want to go on a trip because I’ve never been to California.”

We still have a great feeling about Bullitt and would be surprised, from what we know right now, if he ended up strongly considering any school other than the above three mentioned. Again, it’s going to be all about the amount of effort put into the process and location. Right now, Tech seems to be doing great on both aspects.

Oh, and just in case one might assume that Bullitt is an Aggie lean because it’s his sibling alma matter: The Aggies have not contacted Bullitt in over a month and are not expected to go after him hard at all. They’ve made it clear that they’re going to take their time evaluating him and will not consider offering until they see Bullitt in person this summer.

Q & A With Jeremiah Sirles

RRS: How’s everything going on the recruiting front?
JS: Oh it’s going great. I’ve actually been getting a ton of written letters from Texas Tech. A couple of days ago I got one from every coach on their staff I think. There were a bunch of them and they were all handwritten, which just floored me.

RRS: Is anyone else sending you stuff like that?
JS: Oh, not at all. That’s the only school that is sending me that many handwritten letters right there. That’s just really cool too, because there are a ton of schools sending me stuff, but to get all these handwritten letters is just flattering.

RRS: Last time we talked you mentioned wanting to visit Tech, is that still in the works?
JS: Yes sir, it sure is. My dad and I are going to leave here on Friday afternoon and just drive straight there to watch their Spring Game and go to the Junior Day. I’m pretty pumped about that.

RRS: Talk about Michigan- I know they’re your childhood favorite and everything, but how do they fit into your schedule?
JS: Well, they’re definitely my favorite, but that’s only because I’ve grown up wanting to play in the Big House. But, once I make my decision, I’m done, I don’t care if they offer or whatever, once I make a decision, I’m going to be a man about it and make sure my word means something. So, I’m still going to wait until the end of my season to make my call, but if I decide on another school, that’ll be my school.

RRS: So, at this point, who’s recruiting you the hardest? Which school is doing the most to help their cause at this stage?
JS: Without a doubt that’s Texas Tech. The handwritten letters and everything are just too overwhelming to say it could be anyone else. I’ve actually been trying to call Coach Moore to tell him I’m coming down, but I think I have the wrong number for him. But, yeah, it’s definitely Texas Tech doing the most right now.

Gray’s Staying in Touch

By now, just about everyone who follows recruiting in Texas knows that Joel Gray is one of the best, and one of the most underrated, offensive linemen in the state. Luckily for Texas Tech, Gray has the Red Raiders high on his list, due to a number of things.

Gray’s mom has joked in the past of her desire to see her son play in the Big 12 so she could see him play in person, a fact Gray is taking under consideration.

“That’s definitely something I’ve given a great deal of thought to,” he said of playing in the Big 12. “Staying close to home would be great not only for coming home but also so my family could come watch me play and everything. Tech is a really, really major program in the Big 12 and they’ve offered, and it would definitely be nice to stay close to home, but they’re my only Big 12 offer, so outside of them, I can’t say I favor the Big 12 any more or less than anywhere else really.”

Another factor weighing in Tech’s favor is his relationship with Tech’s coaching staff.

“I have been really busy lately, so I haven’t talked to any coaches from any schools as of late,” he explained. “But I’ll be calling Coach Moore and Coach Riley tomorrow and hopefully I’ll get to talk to them for a while. I’m excited about that.”

Gray also mentioned that he might be making another visit out to Lubbock in the next month.

“I might go to the Spring Game,” he said. “I’m not even sure when it is to be honest with you, but it’s a possibility. I’m going to be really busy during April, so I might not be able to make it, but I might make it. We’ll see.”

Those hoping to see Gray make an early commitment shouldn’t get their hopes up however, as the stud lineman is still looking to take his time.

“To be honest, I have no idea when I’ll decide,” he said. “But I do know I want to get out and check out some schools in the summer and we’ll see after that. But I’m still planning on taking my time.”

James Thinking About a Commitment?

Super-shifty tailback Waymon James has been one of the best kept secrets in the state up to this point, but with offers from schools like Nebraska and Texas Tech, one has to wonder just how much longer he can go on as a relative unknown.

Having rushed for 1,000+ yards in the last two seasons, James stock is beginning to rise and will likely continue to do so, which is a good thing for his current favorite, Texas Tech.

“Texas Tech is probably where I’d go right now if I decided,” he explained. “I’m from there and I have family there and everything, plus I like the school.”

When asked what was holding him back if he was thinking of a commitment, James laughed and explained that he wasn’t really sure.

“I don’t know to be honest with you, I hadn’t thought about that,” he laughed. “I guess they probably throw the ball a little too much, but I do like how they let the running back have the ball a lot in creative ways. I’m going down there on April 19th, so I’m going to talk to them about it.”

Might he walk away as a Red Raider pledge?

“Probably, if I like it,” he answered. “If I like it and I think that’s where I want to be, then I’ll probably commit while I’m there.”

The truth between Walters and UT

Disclaimer: This blurb was written prior to the news that Walters has made up his mind about attending Texas. Again, as we reported yesterday on the site he will give a commitment to Texas this weekend so Texas Tech’s focus will need to be elsewhere as far as offensive line recruiting for the 2009 class.

Texas Tech has been on Frenship OL Mason Walters from the beginning and things were great for the Red Raiders then. But it’s obvious that Tech will eventually begin finding out where they are with the four-star prospect.

“The whole recruiting thing has its ups and downs. I got an offer from Nebraska today in the mail. So, I guess that’s the only thing real new. I think everything else has stayed the same.”

With a third trip to Austin in the works for this weekend, we asked Walters about the Longhorns.

“I think UT will be one of my top schools until decision-making time at the end,” said Walters. “The coaching staff is real personable and they seem real sincere. I’ve talked to a couple of guys that have been around the coaches and they have said they act the same way when they coach you as when they recruit you. That’s a couple things UT has going for them. They have a real close-knit line. You have to be a unit when your guys are up front and that’s what UT has.”

There have been rumors for the past several weeks as to whether or not Walters was close to committing to Texas. Is there a chance that the Horns could be adding the West Texas native on their commitment list after this weekend?

“There’s always a chance. I’m still bound and determined that one of these days I’ll know where this is where I’m supposed to be. I’ll have no problem pulling the trigger once I know that’s where I’m supposed to be.”

We asked Walters to shoot us straight and let us know if the Longhorns were the clear leader in his mind and whether or not they were a lock for him.

“I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I don’t have any interest in Texas. I do like Texas and I’ve thought about it a couple times and I’ll tell you in complete honesty that I would always to go Tech and I still like Tech and I don’t know what would speed up the process.

“But I’m just going to go down there this weekend and be around the guys and enjoy the atmosphere. If I feel like it’s going to be where I go, then I’ll pull the trigger. But that’s not my intention. I want to learn more about the program and if I get the warm fuzzy feeling and get that feeling then I’ll pull the trigger. But I wouldn’t do that just at Texas, I would do that anywhere.”

Also mentioning that he still wants to visit USC, LSU, Stanford, and Notre Dame, would Walters continue to make those visits?

“No, once I commit to a place I’ll probably be done with the process. But I don’t’ know, from what I’ve gathered, I’m not even in the heat of it. Even if I were to commit somewhere, I doubt that’d be the end of hearing from schools. As far as that goes, I’d be through looking.”

So it looks that the rumors of Walters favoring UT are more true than untrue, although publicly, Walters would not say that.

“I’ve been to Tech a couple of times and there have been moments where I’m like ‘this is a good place’. I could say that Tech and Texas are my top two but I haven’t visited much else, I don’t have much to compare it to.”

Still, with not much to compare to, Walters is making a long distance school for the third time. It’s not just any long distance school either, it’s the University of Texas. That can’t settle well with Red Raider fans when looking at their chances and it shouldn’t.

Tech was the first offer for Walters and he has grown up in Tech’s backyard, which are both reasons why we’re nervous about the fact that he has not gotten the “warm fuzzy feeling” with the hometown school.

Like Walters said, it’s possible that he could be a Longhorn after this weekend.

On a lighter note, Walters always seems to show his jokester side. When asked about being able to come to Tech to watch spring practices?

“I’m never going to live down a moment to give Ryan Haliburton a hard time if he gets murdered in practice. I don’t know if Coach Leach will let me have a video camera so I can post Ryan getting murdered on YouTube, like he used to do for me. After practice, I’ll give him a hard time. I’m betting Hali can hold his own out there though.”

Sorry folks, not great news on the Walters front.

Recruiting tidbits

- Lubbock Coronado senior and Tech signee WR Austin Zouzalik came to check out to practice on Wednesday. He is busy with his track season where he has currently come in 2nd or 3rd in the 100 at every meet with a rough average time of 10.66. His other events include the 4x1, 4x2, and long jump.

- Estacado head coach Danny Servance stopped by practice for a while on Wednesday to observe Ruffin McNeill. Servance explained that ’08 Tech commit WR Jeremy Watson won’t be able to make any practices due to his current track schedule. Watson’s events include the spring and mile relay, 4x2, and 100 meters.
We can also confirm that Watson had a great SAT score and is academically eligible.
“He has a really high GPA that’s around a 3.6,” stated Servance. “He’s a great student. Grades have never been a concern of ours when it came to Jeremy.”

- Tech has added another wide receiver offer on the table over this past week. This time it’s East Texas standout Marshall High School’s Dareus Jones.

- Tech commit and Austin native CB D.J. Johnson no longer has the Red Raiders as his lone offer. Marshall has become the second offer for Johnson.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here.

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News