ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' A glance at underrated angles heading into Tech fall camp pres. by J's Salsa

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
We are less than 48 hours away until the opening day of Texas Tech football fall camp and the anticipation is growing day by day. @J. Apodaca has already gone into great depth about some of the bigger storylines going into the fall. Without sounding too much like a broken record, I figured I would go ahead and give some of what I am looking for in the month of August.

Who will stand out in the tight end room?
A lot has been said about virtually every other position on the offensive side of the ball but there has been little discussion up to this point about the tight ends. That is just the way it seems on my end. It is understandable, the offensive line is beefed up, Tyler Shough is aiming to make a statement, the wide receiver room is loaded, but where do the tight ends fit into this equation?

2022 was not the most groundbreaking year from that group, despite flashing at times it was hard for them to build consistency. Baylor Cupp is likely your clear No. 1, but the long term availability of Mason Tharp is going to be something to watch for if you are looking for a viable second option.

Depth at defensive tackle
The focus of the defensive line has been fixated primarily on Steve Linton and Myles Cole, the heirs to Tyree Wilson’s throne. Then of course are the two foundations of the entire group in Tony Bradford and Jaylon Hutchings. Despite the high workload that those two are expected to carry, the depth of that defensive tackle spot is something that I will be watching intently.

Quincy Ledet is going to see the field a hefty amount, replacing Philip Blidi and Vidal Scott as a depth interior defender. I would anticipate seeing E’Maurion “Dooda” Banks taking a much bigger role behind Hutchings and Bradford. Then what do you make of a guys like Trevon McAlpine and Robert Wooten? Lot of questions to be answered in that spot, which will be important to monitor for the future after Hutchings and Bradford move on.

Freshman DBs
The secondary got a massive boost with the additions of Bralyn Lux and AJ McCarty, both of which have been mentioned and covered in extensive detail so far. And like Justin mentioned, it allows Marcel Yates and his guys to ease the pressure off of “The Triplets”, being Chapman Lewis, Jordan Sanford, and Brenden Jordan.

While there are more freshman DBs rostered, those three in particular stand out since they were here in the spring. It will be interesting to see what their roles become now with Lux, who is for sure able to play, and McCarty, who might not be able to play but would receive plenty of PT if he is able.

Like I said, these are the more underrated storylines from my point of view going into camp that I felt should be mentioned. Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

cvkqsas99yezrr0t7ckm

J’s Salsa is owned and operated by a Texas Tech Grad and ready to be your next tailgate staple this season! Packed with fresh ingredients and bold flavors, both the original and hot salsa will leave you begging for the next bite!

Look for our red and black jars on shelves at most United Supermarkets, Market Streets and Albertsons Markets in Texas and New Mexico. Also available at H-E-B in Lubbock and Plano!

J’s Salsa Company is a red raider owned family business. Visit our website at
www.jsalsacompany.com to learn more or ship anywhere in the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News