ADVERTISEMENT

Why I don’t see a realistic Oklahoma move to the SEC that doesn’t involve Tech

FloydadaRaider

Red Raider
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2019
Dallas
One thing I’ve envied about college athletics fan culture about the state of Oklahoma is how it’s essentially half and half with Sooner and Cowboys fans and graduates. I think the only state that really compares with Oklahoma and its passion for college athletics and having the capacity to field good teams across multiple sports is Alabama with Auburn and Bama whereas Texas is far more divied up with Texas, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, SMU, etc.

If Oklahoma tries to leave Oklahoma State, I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as it was for A&M in Texas because a lot of the movers and shakers up there are OSU grads. In fact, the governor is an OSU grad. I know things are different than 1994 and 2010 and eyeballs trump all, but Oklahoma’s path of least resistance is still, by far, to lobby OSU with it if it attempts to leave the Big 12. But I don’t think the SEC will want to bring in an odd number of teams, especially a middle of the road football program.

I think the most logical answer is for Texas to reciprocate by pulling Tech into the fray because there are no more standalone schools remaining in the Southeast/Southwest region. Unless the SEC can get Clemson to join, Tech is the best regional option, and we’re growing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News