ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we refuse

remmizero

The 69 Club
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2009
to run two back sets?

Given the situation at QB and our lack of explosive playmakers at receiver, this seems to be the best option for us.

Tajh is our best playmaker, so obviously we want to put the ball in his hands. But obviously you can't hand the ball off to him every time. A second back takes pressure off him and gives more options for where the ball can go to from out of the backfield. Instead we continually line up 4 receivers and then hand the ball to Tajh. This forces Tajh to make a play with only OL blocking, cause those four receivers aren't doing jack shit during those runs. At best we get a TE on the line to help with blocking, but again still putting the pressure on the back to create a play.

I'd like to see two backs, a blocking TE and only two receivers instead of the garbage we currently see. That would be adapting our offense to our strengths. There's a difference between adapting your offense to run the ball and just calling run plays. ZK's playbook is a pass first offense with a handful of run plays. Instead of changing his playbook, he's just calling his run plays and thinks that's the same thing as being a run first offense. All he did to help Tajh was zone read stuff which was quickly snuffed out. Tajh is good but expecting him to be able to consistently pick up yards when the defense knows he's getting the ball and 4 of your skill players aren't doing anything to contribute is a talk ask.

Two backs gives you multiple options out of the backfield either as a lead blocker for the other, another option to catch out of the backfield, varies up pass protection looks, creates opportunities for the TE over the middle, more play action, etc. We also have the perfect options for this in Nehemiah Martinez and Xavier White.

I post all this as anything but a football expert so go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong. I also turned the game off in the third quarter. It's just mind numbing that we continually line up 4 wide when we aren't a serious threat to pass the ball and then expect the RB to move the chains that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News