ADVERTISEMENT

We've Lived This Story Once Before

Doc 20

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2002
There's a lot about the current MBB storyline that mimics FB post Leach. We made a hire with Leach that was surprisingly successful and brought fun back to the stadium. We had a charismatic leader that everyone enjoyed and many worshipped. And then he left and we were mad and wanted desperately to return to the fun times we had been blessed to have. We all felt that it should be easy to find a suitable replacement quickly. Turned out to take much longer than we thought it would.

Well the MBB story is not too different, hiring a surprising head coach in Beard and gaining immediate success. Except Adams as his replacement actually did quite well in his first season. The second hasn't been so successful and we are REALLY worried that our fun is not going to return to what we became used to having. If you step back, we don't have enough information yet to know whether we have the right man at the helm or not. This off-season recruiting and next season's campaign will provide that information and is critical to where we go from here.

As with Leach, we remember all the good things that happened with Beard. But we forget all the wailing we did with his end of game decision making, and some of his in-game management decisions when he was here. Yes, Adams has his faults, but most HCs do as well. Not all Beard's recruiting turned out to be as successful as we had hoped. and he lived off the Culver years, and the year we got two fabulous transfers more than anyone wants to remember.

All I am saying is I understand why our reactions have swung so dramatically this year. I too am afraid to lose our place among the best programs in MBB, not just the Big 12. But we must also understand it is not something where you just make a change and it immediately returns to where it was. Especially as NIL and the transfer portal changes the way things are done. I am suggesting we let this year play out, see what we do in the end, maybe even a successful NIT campaign with a very young roster. And then see how the off season recruiting/roster building goes, and pray for a successful campaign in 23/24. Things may not be as bleak as so many think they are right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News