ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Weekly Thoughts From 4O9 (Tech Baseball, College Baseball Betting, Fisher, Starting QB Odds, Hoops Rotation, Steve Green)

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Dec 30, 2015
Tech Baseball

I'm planning on going tonight. With how difficult it was for us to keep the ball in the yard v OU, I wonder how much it'll help to play them in a pitcher's park for the first time all year. They are throwing their Friday night guy tonight.

D1 baseball has both TCU and UT hosting now, with Tech going to the Maryland regional as a 2 seed (and being paired with the Fort Worth regional). I would sign up for that. I would strongly consider that path to Omaha v. hosting in Lubbock as the 16 national seed, with like a Arkansas or Vandy coming as the 2 seed, and the reward for winning being a super regional matchup in Knoxville.

Betting College Baseball

You may actually have a chance to win over the long haul betting college baseball, and this is the time (college tourneys starting) when it's easy to find lines for these games. When you're betting on NBA playoff games or on NFL games, you're competing against pretty much every other smart bettor in the world. You're not going to win. I promise. But in college baseball, only a few people bet on these games. Very little thought is put into setting the lines. If you dig just a little bit and figure out who's pitching and what arms are left in a team's bullpen, you can actually win.

But you can also win without doing any of that work. Here's how: Download the Circa colorado app, find lines for college baseball games. The guy setting that line at Circa is making a legitimate attempt to handicap these games, and his lines can vary wildly from what's available elsewhere (because he's doing a good job and others are not). So simply look at Circa's line, see where they are different, and bet accordingly. For example, if Circa makes Kansas State -110 v. WVU, and you can get KSU at +130, take them at +130.

Elijah Fisher

Fisher will be 19 years' old for Big 12 play next year, so he's not your typical JR in HS that's reclassifying. Even though age is not really an issue, I'm not sure what to expect from him. If I had to bet on it, I'd probably have Lamar Washington as more likely to impact a Big 12 game next year. Fisher is almost the opposite of Pop Isaacs. While Isaacs is probably ready from a skills standpoint to play high-level basketball, he may have a ways to go physically. Fisher's got the body to play in the Big 12, but I'm not sure he's got the dribble, passing, and shooting part down yet. Hopefully I'm wrong and he does.

He's a high risk / high reward guy. I definitely think he's worth taking, though.

Starting QB for Opening Day v. Murray State

Shough -800 (bet $80 to win 10$)
D Smith +400 (10$ to win 40$)
B Morton +750 (bet 10$ to 75$)

That's what I'd make those lines. Betting on D Smith or Morton is essentially a bet that Shough gets injured or sick or something. I think there's essentially a 0% chance that he loses the job in fall camp. My odds would be much, much different if I was trying to set a line on who starts the first Big 12 game. Smith and Morton have a chance there. But for opening day v. Murray State? It's Shough.

Tech Basketball Lineup

Harmon - 30mpg
D. Williams - 25 mpg
J Tyson - 25 mpg
Obanor - 30 mpg
Aimaq - 27 mpg

Clarence - 15 mpg
Batcho - 10 mpg
Fisher - 10 mpg
L Washington - 10 mpg
Isaacs - 10 mpg
KJ Allen / Robert Jennings - 8 mpg

I could see the minutes breaking down something like that, at least until someone from that FR group breaks out and claims a bigger role. We will be hoping that D. Williams and J. Tyson are major hits. We need them to be if we're planning on making a deep run next year.

Steve Green

I still haven't listened to his interview because Tech's youtube account hasn't put it up for some reason... In any event, it's probably going to be a misnomer that "2022-2023 Tech basketball will run the 2022 Warriors offense now with Green." That NYT article about Green and the Warriors offense was written almost 6 years ago. The Warriors themselves probably don't run the same stuff that they did back then. Steve Green also had a PG 6 years ago named Jordan Brangers, the closest thing to Steph Curry in juco basketball. Of course he emulated the Warriors offense back then.

Green seems to have philosophies that are very, very similar to our current coach.

What's interesting is that we know Adams kicked the tires on Ben McCollum, the D2 coach that was an offensive guru. McCollum and Green seem to run very different offenses, with McCollum using the ball screen almost exclusively and Green wanting to space everything out instead. Adams is not married to one style. He just wants to score points and win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News