ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: "We might be the Cardiac Kids," McGuire after massive win over Arizona

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Via @C. Level on the radio...

28-22, road win on a Sunday morning in Tucson...
"We played such a good first half, we were clicking on both sides of the ball. Caused some turnovers, ended up 18-3 at half. They came out and played really, really good on defense. It was so key tonight, two things. We made them kick field goals, especially after we turned the ball over, and we caused three turnovers. We won the turnover battle. Good things happen when you do that, that's part of our plan to win, number three."

What can you say about Tim DeRuyter's side of the ball?
"That was the first thing I said to the players, had all the coaches together and said man, what a great game plan they put together. You think about it, we don't travel Chappy, Devynn Cromwell plays big tonight. CJ Baskerville has a huge interception that makes a huge difference. Horn played well, Macho played well. Having Lux back. Jacob Rodriguez did good. That's such a good offense, that quarterback is so hard to hit and we got to him at times. We covered well tonight."

What do you tell Tahj?
"I didn't say a word to him. There's nothing to say to Tahj. There ain't anybody that knows better, that's something that hasn't been his MO. Maybe that's the first two since I've been here that we've lost a football with him running, I could be totally wrong about that. You just get to what's next with him, you don't say anything. He had that big at the end."

McMillan's fumble, did you see who punched it out? Did you envision that?
"I'm pretty sure it was Jacob Rodriguez. He's our punch artist. If you ask any of the defensive players, they're gonna say that coach said it was going to happen. That kid is a first round draft pick but I thought he carried the ball loose at different times. If we could get him slowed up, I thought we could knock it out and J-Rod made me right."

Is this more fun with a little more time to enjoy it?
"I've got 24 hours to enjoy it, man. We've got such a big game in two weeks, we're coming back home and we want to ride this. I'm just proud of the guys. I just keep going back to good football traveling. Stopping the run, tonight it was more about playing coverage. We gave up some yards on the ground but we were trying to play coverage, so that was going to happen at times. It was okay, don't give up the big play. I don't think we didn't give up any huge momentum plays that changed the game."

Find a way...
"That's what this team is. That's what the Big 12 is, you know, every single week and that's what we're going to try to do....Buckle up man. If I go down, our doctor will get my heart going again, we might be the cardiac kids or whatever, but as long as were winning by one point, we're in good shape."

IMG_4782.jpeg

Barnett Howard & Williams PLLC is a law firm founded by three Red Raiders and based in Fort Worth. BHW attorneys handle personal injury, family law, criminal defense, and Title 9 cases all across the state. We hope you never need us, but we are in your corner when you do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.