ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Thursday Availability Notes

D. Kohnle

Captain
Gold Member
Feb 19, 2014
Lubbock, TX
Toddrick Gotcher and Zach Smith were made available to the media today and Will and I were able to speak with each player.

Toddrick Gotcher

-First up is senior Toddrick Gotcher. Gotcher right off the bat gave a brief preview of what to expect both offensively and defensively from the team this year.

“Offensively we are much faster. We can get out on the break more. We are running up and down; we are very athletic and that’s a big change from last year. Defensively I think we can get out into the passing lane more and get a couple more steals because last year we were sitting back a lot. This year we have really been working to get out into the passing lanes.”

“The personnel is really different. We have a lot more athleticism with Zach and Jordan (Jackson) and CJ (Williamson). They are getting a feel for the game, the young guys. They are very new and young but have looked very good in practice. I am impressed.”

-Much has been made of the basketball team’s trip to Canada a couple months ago and the consensus thought on the Canada trip was that it was a huge benefit to the team. The trip really helped them figure things out both offensively and defensively in a real game environment.

“That has been a big part of it. Canada has really helped us out with that. We are playing together and we know our roles now. Before, this would be our third practice of the year, but now it is our 13th and it really helped us. Mentally we are there and we know how to get stops and we know what to do and the seniors are really helping with that.”

-The ten extra practices were a huge benefit to the team and Gotcher said it doesn’t even feel like the preseason anymore and he feels like he is already in full effect.

-Going 4-0 on the trip to Canada was a big mental boost as well. Gotcher couldn’t express enough how beneficial that trip was in helping the team mesh quicker and figure out the go-to guys in their offense.

-Gotcher is without a doubt a leader of this basketball team as he is one of only two seniors on the team. Gotcher said that Devaugntah Williams, Zach Smith, and a few of the returners have taken on big leadership roles.

-Gotcher was not shy at all in raving about the incoming freshmen, especially Jordan Jackson and CJ Williamson. It already seems that the newcomers are making some noise and having a positive impact on the returning players.

“I was very surprised because my freshman year coming in, I was nowhere near as ready as they are. They are mentally there, they are physically there, and it has been really helpful to us. It makes practice easier on us because we don’t have to stop and teach them every little thing.”

-I asked Gotcher if there was a certain newcomer that stood out among the rest, and he once again mentioned both Jackson and Williamson as early standouts.

“All of them have, but I really like Jordan Jackson and CJ Williamson. They have been really efficient, they understand what coach wants, they understand the gameplan, so practice has been really easy and really fun.”

“To me, they are already like juniors already. The way they are mentally prepared, the way they are physically prepared and they are always wanting to help and ask questions. Jordan and CJ always text me after practice and ask me what they need to improve on. It is rare to see guys like that that are willing to learn.”

-JUCO transfer point guard Devon Thomas has also been turning some heads, but that was to be expected according to Gotcher.

“Devon, he played at D1 before Tech, so he knows the game well. He’s quick and has a jumpshot. I expected him to be high caliber like he is. I’m impressed, but I expected that from him.”

-It also sounds like Justin Gray is getting healthier as Gotcher is the one who has to guard the talented player in practice. Gotcher says Gray is the best player on the team.

-To get adjusted to the new 30-second shot clock, the team practices with 24-seconds on the clock and are working on scoring a lot faster this year.

“We are more up and down this year. We can rebound, run the floor, and get a layup. Our early offense is really our go to offense right now. We score fast.”

Zach Smith

-Zach Smith gave his opening thoughts on how the forwards have improved their game heading into this season.

“We’ve just been working on our skill development right now. We are trying to be able to expand our game to be able to stretch the court position. We’ve put some of us at the three.”

-Smith echoed a lot of the sentiments expressed by Gotcher in regards to the Canada trip and thought it was very beneficial to the team. He felt he could have played better but it was good to get a glimpse of how the team will play together once the regular season starts.

“I thought the whole experience was great and we got to see a lot of stuff while we were out there. As far as basketball goes, I thought it was important to build team chemistry and to be able to give the new guys a chance to come along and see what college basketball is like.”

“Personally I felt like I could’ve been a bit more productive. I thought it was important to see how I fit with the team and all the newcomers coming in and see how we are going to be this year.”

-The team is focused and has very good chemistry according to Smith. Smith mentions that the team is working to make it to the NCAA tournament and make a very deep run.

-Gotcher and Devaugntah Williams are the guards that have impressed him the most this year.

-Smith was a wide-eyed freshman at this point last year and most players see the biggest jump from their freshman years to their sophomore years. How does Smith feel like he has improved his play?

“I think the biggest improvement I made is being able to make more plays and not relying on other people to make plays for me. From finisher to playmaker.”

“The biggest difference is last year I was just trying to get my spot, earn my spot, and get in the lineup. This year I am trying to excel and make a name for myself.”

-Smith was also very impressed with JUCO transfer Devon Thomas.

“He is quick and crafty. He knows how to get the ball to the post on drives and he is really good at dishing and he is really good at being able to finish despite being really small in size.”

-The basketball team will be hosting a “Homecoming and Hoops” event on Friday evening complete with a dunk contest. Gotcher thinks Smith will take home the dunk champion crown and Zach Smith was not shy in picking himself to win either.

Reactions: RedRaidersRide
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News