ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: The Scouting Report – TCU pres. by BHW Law

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Got this done a day early this week. Enjoy.

Texas Tech is looking for a massive rebound after last weekend at Jones AT&T Stadium and the Red Raiders are taking on a team that came up with a big win over the Utes on the road this weekend.

Let’s jump into what I’m expecting from the Frogs & an overview of their personnel.

The Inconsistent Hoover

Josh Hoover, TCU’s starting quarterback, is very divisive and is having a pretty solid season from numbers perspective. He has thrown for 2,310 yards on a 64.8 completion percentage with 16 touchdowns and six interceptions.

My issue with Hoover as a prospect/college football player is that he puts the ball in harm’s way, way too often. He possesses 12 turnover worthy throws in the year, tied for second most in the country, largely stemming from pressure.

Hoover has been pressured 65 times on the year, completing ~45% of his passes on those dropbacks, but only two of his six picks came on those pressures. The missed throws are a major part of his game, and Tech will have the opportunity to take advantage.

Hoover also has handled that pressure relatively well, possessing a 9.2% pressure to sack ratio (9.2% of pressures are sacks), one of the best marks in the country for how many dropbacks he has this season.

If you watch his highlights, you’ll think that this dude is a world beater, but the game tape is super frustrating if you are a fan of quality quarterback play.

I also find it interesting that TCU tags almost every single one of their zone runs as a read with Hoover, something that he is not a major threat with, and Utah was extremely conservative on the ends when dealing with that. Just something that I noticed, no idea if it impacts this weekend.

Skill

This group is fascinating, and it really revolves around two conversations. Running back and wide receiver/tight end. One is good and one is bad, and we’ll start with the good.

At receiver, this team is dynamic. Savion Williams (3) is a dynamic athlete and Jack Bech (18) is an excellent route runner who has physical tools and enough athleticism to be an issue for Texas Tech’s corners. Both are very strong at the catch point and are fringe NFL players (probably draftable). Bech is the big target on money downs, so know where he is on the field during key moments.

JP Richardson (7) had a strong game vs. Utah, a smaller body, but someone who is a crafty player and less athletic than the above pair. The final WR is Eric McAlister (88), a Boise State transfer, who is still trying to mix in a bit more. He is a red-zone threat and has caught three touchdowns on the year.

This is probably the most complete wide receiver room that Tech has faced this year and they absolutely make life easier on Josh Hoover.

At running back, the Frogs are looking to get something going. All year it has been Cam Cook (4) who has carried the load all year. He is good at breaking tackles and runs behind his pads but he has not been very good this season from a box score prospective.

Against Utah, TCU resorted to giving the ball to Williams in a wildcat, something that they did seven times last Saturday, getting 10.2 yards per carry doing so. It also seems that a former quarterback, Trent Battle (17), is making things happen there. When he is in the game, Tech must take advantage of his pass protection ability, it is extremely subpar.

Offensive Line

This group, much like Baylor, has not been very good run blockers this season, most having good size with subpar athleticism and strain to finish blocks.

My favorite of the group is the center, James Brockemeyer who is undersized but is a good mover and can maintain pocket integrity with his anchor ability. He plays how an Alabama transfer should in the Big 12.

I believe that the guards are exploitable in pass protection, not handling stunts very well against Utah and against UCF earlier in the year, both having issues with movement and anchor ability in pass protection.

While Tech’s edges haven’t been very good this year, the tackles are alright, the left tackle being a bit better, and might be a bit exploitable. From a numbers perspective, this line is similar to Texas Tech’s. Hoover has been pressured 65 times in seven games and Morton has been 66 times in seven games.

Hopefully Tech’s edge group can get it done, schematically or otherwise. It is imperative to put this game on Hoover as much as possible, in my opinion.

Defense

This group throws everything at you. Sim pressures, dropping edge rushers, sending linebackers while playing combo coverages on the backend. From the metrics, TCU does not play the run very well, and I think there are reasons for this, but has been pretty good against the pass on the year.

TCU’s defensive line has a couple of players that intrigue me. Most notably, Markis Deal (95) who is an NFL body at defensive tackle as a R-FR who plays very strong. The biggest issue with Deal is that he has issues getting off blocks and will disappear during the game, but he will make multiple that make you turn your head.

The one DT that truly is exploitable is Chapman (42) who has major issues getting off blocks and is a defensive end body. I would run right at him every time he is in the game if I was creating an offensive game plan for this game.

The key for TCU’s success defensively against Utah was DE Devean Deal (11), a kid of out El Paso that came back to Texas after two years at Tulane. He was wrecking shop and has the ability to align anywhere. He logged 1.5 sacks, a TFL and four pressures against the Utes OL, being used in multiple ways. He won off the edge, he won as a blitzing linebacker. I would be worried if he can do it again.

Elarms-Orr (3) and Obiazor (4) are strong linebackers who have very good size and are best coming downhill. Both struggle in coverage but are masked by the secondary at times.

However, I am not the biggest fan of this secondary. The safeties are athletic but have major drawbacks with their eyes and decision making. The corners are pretty solid, I am a fan of JaTravis Broughton (13), a player who is an elite athlete with some length despite being 5-11 but struggles with spacial awareness in zone coverage. LaMareon James (6) is a very good press corner who has made some eye-popping tackles this year while the Frogs will also mix in Channing Canada (7), who is the best decision maker of the group but lacks the athleticism the other two bring.

IMG_4782.jpeg

Barnett Howard & Williams PLLC is a law firm founded by three Red Raiders and based in Fort Worth. BHW attorneys handle personal injury, family law, criminal defense, and Title 9 cases all across the state. We hope you never need us, but we are in your corner when you do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.