ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: The Latest ...

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
The ball remains in Chris Beard's court. He remains in contact with Texas Tech about things but whether he is coaching in Lubbock or Austin next season and beyond remains a simple question of what he wants and where he thinks he can win a national championship.

The angst and back-and-forth over Texas Tech’s apparel deal is way overblown. Beard has never brought it up as an issue with the university, and the brand of shoes that the Red Raiders were certainly didn't keep them from playing on a Monday night a few years ago.

I've said this repeatedly in recent days but Texas Tech has a big-time basketball job now because of what Beard has done and the money the university and donors have invested into support and facilities. Not enough people know this about what all has gone into the growth of the program’s financial support (i.e. things like staff and marketing). Just know this machine will keep going whatever happens. From playing on a Monday night to being .500 in league play the last two years ... the Big 12 is hard, the sport is hard and no one is guaranteed anything.

Is he interested in Texas? Yes, enough to visit with them. Is anything a "done" deal at this point? Nope, no matter how many times people write it, text it or wish it ... nothing is a done deal here.

Lastly, I know some are chill, some are worried and others are irritated. I get it all. Feel how you want and more feelings will hit once this is decided, either way. I get it. I choose not to worry about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News