ADVERTISEMENT

The case for McCasland

ReasonableRaider

Techsan
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
I know there are already a couple of threads about him, but consider this your one-stop shop on all things, or at least most things, Grant McCasland:

1999-2001: Director of basketball operations at Tech under James Dickey where he got his masters degree. So there's a familiarity.

2004-2009, Midland College: His first coaching job after two season as an assistant at Northeastern JC. Compiled a record of 143-32 that included the 2007 national junior college championship. Six palyers off his national title team got D-I offers, so he was recruiting well.

2009-2011, Midwestern University in Wichita Falls: Moves up the ladder to NCAA Division II. In two years, compiled a 54-13 record and led Midwestern to consecutive appearances in the NCAA Division II Elite Eight tournament (i.e, national quarterfinals).

2011-2016, Baylor assistant: Top assistant at Baylor. Say what you will about Scott Drew, but he can coach and recruit and McCasland learned under a good one.

2017, Arkansas State: In only year there, led Arkansas State to a 20-12 record. The two years before, ASU was 22-38. It was the most wins at ASU in 19 years. ASU hasn't come close to 20 wins since he left.

2018-present, North Texas: Currently 25-6, and is 50-13 in his last two seasons. In six seasons, has won 20 or more five times. The only time he didn't it was 18 wins. This program was 22-40 under former Red Raider Tony Benford in the two seasons prior to McCasland's arrival.

Summary: Like we've seen with McGuire, it's about fit. McCasland would seem to fit Tech much better than any top coaching prospect. He's only 46, and he has a reputation as very good with AAU coaches. The man has won, and won big, everywhere he's been. Why all of a sudden would he stop winning at Tech when he will have the facilities, the NIL, the support, everything a head coach would want be successful?

Man, I hope it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News