ADVERTISEMENT

The Case Against Kirby Hocutt

jblidell

Hanukkah Harry
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Houston
@codycc64 inspired me today to research Kirby's spending on football. I have no ax to grind with either one of them, but I do love excel and charts. I went to the EADA website, https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/ , to get all of my information for these charts. For some reason, my data only went from 2003-2018 unlike Mr. @codycc64 which was from 2004-2019. Don't know what I did wrong.

Forewarning, this will be long and the charts are big.

First, I compared football expenses for all current big 12-2-2+2 schools:
ad-expenses.png

You'll need to click to view. My conclusion from this chart is that Gerald Myers breached his fiduciary duty to the university by spending more than any of the other schools in 2003. I'm being sarcastic, but we were spending a ton of money relative to the results UT and OU were having at the same time. If you look at when Kirby took over in 2011, he actually started to increase spending.

Now, let's look at Total Revenue from all areas:
ad-revenue.png

This was the most eye opening data I found. We went from being a have to almost a complete have not over the last 15+ years. Our revenue doubled while some, like UT, almost tripled. I'm not running a P5 program, but how do you keep up when all of your competitors revenue increases significantly more than yours?

Finally, I like percentages so I looked at what percentage of Total Revenue is being used for football:
revenue-age.png

My only conclusion based off the argument that you should spend a higher percentage of your revenue on football than anywhere else, is that Del Conte, Castiglione, Lyons, and Taylor all need to be fired along with Hocutt.

TLDR I did some charting and numbers are fun.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News