ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: The Breakdown – Washington State pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
I’m sure y’all are unaware, but with my travel schedule this weekend, I had a very hectic Sunday and was really unable to get to this until very late, on very minimal sleep.

However, I wanted to get this to y’all, at least with what I could. I got through the first quarter of the offensive film, and I wanted to talk through some of the things that I’m seeing structurally.

I will finish my charting sometime this evening, and can update my sheet whenever I get done, for those who liked seeing my notes from each play last week. (I like delivering it to y’all that way, so you can kind of draw your own conclusions holistically, if you care to do so. Adds nuance around here).

Let’s jump into it.

Morton Convo

Based off the first quarter of play, the cracks were already showing. Morton was inconsistent with his footwork and the ball placement really failed him a couple of times. Morton missed a checkdown, a nice post-curl route to Douglas and a short hitch route all in the first six minutes.

The cracks are there, and it just got worse throughout the game for me during the live sample. Morton has to be better, especially when possessing a clean pocket, which he had nearly 80% of the time last night, per PFF. The post curl is a great example of this, but it was such a bad miss that I’m not even sure he was on the same page as CD.

If you look at my excel sheet attached below, you have some issues in the RPO choices from Morton, as well. He did not help this team settle into this ball game, but neither did special teams, and neither did the defense. All around brutal.

However, I thought Morton flashed the promise here too. Two plays stood out to me. One being a quick slant to Josh Kelly where he picked up the blitzing LB and threw right into the replacement window, a great rep with a free runner coming into your vision.

Another toss to Kelly, this time on an iteration of an out with clears attached. While it’s almost certainly a pre-snap read, Morton plays with an excellent base and good footwork, and absolutely rips a seed to Kelly.

It’s frustrating, since this could be what he is all the time, but he isn’t. What the actual issue is, I don’t know, but it’s what I see on tape.

Offensive Structure

Obviously, you’re missing Tahj Brooks in this one, and I’m sure it made quite the difference for the play caller. But, I found it interesting that Tech got away from true, run the ball run calls. Of the five run plays, two were “run it” runs, and it put stress on Morton.

I think Tech’s formations didn’t help in this matter either, allowing for WSU to align with numbers in both the run and in the pass game, especially on the final play of the quarter.

This 2x2 Stack formation was a staple for Kittley in ’23, and I’ve always had my questions with it, but if you’re going to “take what the defense gives you,” this formation doesn't provide many answers, especially with this call on.

I’m calling this an iteration of a WR bubble RPO with the run being inside zone, and it ends up being handed off and taken for a solid three-yard gain by Dickey. Most would see this as a nothing burger play, and it ultimately is, but to me it’s getting too cute.

The split into the field is somewhat tight and it allows for WSU to line it up very, very well with numbers on both screen sides but also allow to play the run well.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 091820.png

I’m sure this thread will go well, and I’m sure you wanted to see more of a full game recap. Wished I could do it, but it was a struggle to get this written and broken down. Things I’m looking for in the next three quarters…Morton’s processing, footwork and ball placement on downfield throws and Tech’s pass protection (pretty good to me live). Will flag the update when I’m done.

IMG_0936.jpeg

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.
@ALL HANDS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.