ADVERTISEMENT

TRANSCRIPT: Texas Tech's Aug. 31 press conference

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
Transcribed by the fine, fine folks at ASAP Sports.

Q. The elephant in the room, are you ready to tell us who you're picking as your quarterback?

KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, we'll be out there and we'll play. But feel very good about that position, that room with the way those two guys battled, got better this camp, and Nic Shimonek earning his scholarship. Most solid I've felt about that room since I've been here, so that's exciting for me.

Q. Has the team prepared not knowing who the quarterback is?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I would think so.

Q. When did you tell the team you had a starter?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I didn't.

Q. They just came up with it on their own?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I don't know if they've figured it out or not, so just rotate them and play.

Q. You've talked about how well both played. Has one distinguished himself more than the other that the one that you'll trot out there?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: The best way I can put it is the one that's best for us right now, and that's we listed them as or because we do feel like we have two starters and two guys that can win games and two guys that deserve to be the starter. But we can only play one, so we'll play one and see how it goes.

Q. You had said you wanted to name your quarterback early. What made it so hard to not name them early?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Yeah, I just liked the way it was going. It wasn't that anything was hard. I just liked the competition. I liked the way guys were practicing and the way our team was handling it, so we just rolled with it.

Q. The two obviously do some things differently. How much does it change the feel for an offensive lineman or wide receiver?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Maybe a little bit. Pat gets out a little bit more, I'd say and extends plays, but Davis has that ability as well. Davis probably checks a little bit more at the line. He's very cerebral in his approach, so those are two things that if I just looked at it on paper were the two biggest differences.

Q. Are you considering getting both guys some extended action to kind of further that competition?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: We'll see. We're trying to win the game first and foremost, so that's a good team. I'd love for both guys to get to play because they both earned it. But first and foremost, we need to try to win this game.

Q. Other than a win, what are the three things that you want to see come out of this game? Not that you'd expect, but that you want to see?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: First and foremost discipline, then protecting the football and just enthusiasm, excitement, energy. You want to see them be excited for their teammates when they make plays on the big stage.

Q. A name that we were really looking forward to hearing was Mike Mitchell. We didn't see him at all on the depth chart. Is there a reason for that?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, he'll play Saturday. It's just Mike's, you all put a lot on Mike, and rightfully so. He's a big time recruit, very physical, very athletic, so we just kind of put the guys that have been here and rolled with it.

Q. What is it that you and your staff saw in camp over the summer from Tony Brown that allowed him to work his way into the two deep?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: He just picked up the system quick. Very athletic, played corner and wide receiver in high school. Could return punts, do it all. But he's very football savvy. Understood what we were trying to accomplish. Worked hard all summer, was in great shape when he got here. Only was here for the second session, but came in in great shape and earned his role. He was very good in camp and for a young guy did not back down from a challenge.

Q. (Indiscernible) have the best opportunity to play (Indiscernible)?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Yeah, I'd say D'Vonta on defense, Keke Coutee, Donta Thompson, and that's really about it right now, but more may play. Just off the top of my head, that's who jumps out.

Q. Do you have a status update on Reginald Davis for Saturday's game?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I do not. You'll just have to tune in to see.

Q. Coach at the start of the starting quarterback throws, will there be a quick hook?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, there won't be a quick hook. We feel like both guys can play, and we're going to let guys play and get their way into the game. But if anything were to occur and we needed to get our team jump started and get going, we feel like we have two guys that can get it done.

Q. Could you point to something maybe at the beginning of camp that you were unsure or uncertain about that you now feel better about on the other side of the ball?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I think linebacking corps, just none of those guys have played a ton. Mike really stepped up this camp and has been all over the field. Kris Williams, Malik Jenkins, Sam Atoe, Dakota Allen, young guys that we needed to step up. I feel like they've progressed nicely. Not where we want them to be yet, but excited to watch them in that first game.

Q. Coach, what about Sam Houston State? What stands out about their defense in particular?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I think they have ten starters back. It was a very good defense last year. They played at big games. They played at LSU last year, so they're not going to be intimidated by an environment. A lot of those guys have been at D 1 schools, and so had a lot of success. They're a good team, a veteran group, and they'll come in here expecting to win the game.

Q. Defensive line obviously at strength, talk about Breiden Fehoko stepping up for you guys?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Breiden made a huge difference for him coming in last spring. He picked up the system last spring, took his lumps a little bit, and this summer really made big strides in the weight room in his conditioning, understanding the system and just progressed through camp.

It's been a disruptive force for them all through camp. So I hope that carries over to the game. I'm sure it will. Student of the game. Works at it, takes care of his body, and everything you want in a young guy.

Q. Did you settle on a field goal kicker or point after kicker yet?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: We have not. We like what both of them have done, and Taylor Symmank as well is handling kicking duties along with the punting, but that will be a feel thing. Hopefully we can get everybody some kicks in these first couple of weeks and then kind of go from there.

Q. Sadler was kicking with Batson and holding. Is there anything to that?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Possibly. We've rotated holders, Sadler, Batson and Barden and Hatfield, Symmank have all kicked. So, like I said, we're not set there like we were last year at that position at all, and we're still working through that.

Q. Any concerns on kickers? Are probably one (Indiscernible)?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, I mean, they both played well. Just neither one has taken over the job, put it that way. They're making kicks. We just want to have some live game situations to see how they handle it.

Q. Going into this first game, is there anything that you are feeling disquieted by? That you're not feeling good about?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, just excited for the game. It's been a long off season, but excited to watch how a lot of these young guys that were throwing the fire last year, how they've grown up over the course of eight months.

Q. What's it say about a guy like Quinton White basically switching positions? And how does that open up your offense, especially when you go to that pistol and have them like the quarterback and you're opening up some other options?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Yeah, Quinton's really matured on and off the field. That was a role he wanted to take on. Has embraced it. He knows DeAndre and Justin are going to get the majority of the carries. But when Quinton has the ball in his hands, good things tend to happen. He's become a much better receiver out of the back field and much better blocker.

So his role continues to expand. He's been great on special teams and has become a really solid football player for us.

Q. No. 92 on game day for Sam Houston State, P.J. Hall, five blocked kicks last year. Was that something that maybe other teams weren't doing well against him or does he stand out to you?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: No, he's athletic. He definitely flashes on film. Both their ends do. Their entire defense, really. Active linebackers, good secondary. But I just think sometimes guys have a knack for that and he seemed to have that.

Q. What have you seen from Ian Sadler?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: He's progressed. Last year in the beginning he was feeling it out and had some rough moments, but end of last year through the spring, through the summer camp he's been really good. You get the ball in his hands, just like he was in high school, he tends to make good things happen. Ian and Pat and Davis, and all those guys come and throw all summer. So they all have a good rapport with each other. He's somehow tends to get open.

Q. Could you talk about Tony Morales in his first start, fifth year senior?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: Knock on wood. Yeah, this hopefully will be the first time he gets to suit up and play in a game, which is awesome. He's come back through a bunch of injuries. Great kid, really has worked hard and we couldn't be more pleased with his progress thus far at that position.

Q. Does that perseverance help with the rest of the team when they see a guy like that battling? Does that carry over to the rest of your team?
KLIFF KINGSBURY: I think so. He's a guy who can speak from experience about appreciating each day, each practice, each time you getting to out on that field. So guys see that. They see what he's gone through, and it definitely, I think, sends some inspirational messages when they watch him trot out there.

Reactions: paddysk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News