ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Night Battle 4 Atlantis Thoughts

chaseallen_44

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2018
New Braunfels
Trying to get away from the absolute dick punch that was the UT game Friday night, so I thought I'd go over some assorted thoughts on the 3 games Tech basketball played last week. Overall, minus the struggle against Nova (who overcame Kyle Neptune's shitty coaching to win the tournament) and at times against a well-coached UNI team I would categorize this as a successful trip. Any time you can get out of an MTE in a tropical location with a winning record and without your team falling apart (ahem Maui) you take it. I'm feeling pretty lazy, so I won't go too deep into any stats and for the most part this is eye test stuff.

Things I really liked:

• Joe Toussaint - I liked the addition from the jump but never thought that through 6 games he would be Tech's best player and leading scorer. His level headedness and poise as the primary ball handler and main POA defender has had a calming effect on Tech. He is small but really knows how to shift gears and get to his spots. At this point in time, he is the closest thing Tech has to a legit shot creator and his passing is excellent. No one else on the roster can work a ball screen like he can. I worry about the sustainability of his scoring but he awesome this week. Not to mention he is a bulldog on the defensive end. Michigan's star PG couldn't even get the ball for a stretch on Friday.
  • Darrion Williams - like Joe I was enthused to get him out of the portal, and I would posit that he has been Tech's second-best player this year. He does all the little things, defends at a high level and is an excellent rebounder. Although he is mainly a catch and shoot / put back guy at this stage he has shown some flashes offensively. I loved his aggressiveness in the Michigan game, especially when they got him looks in the post.
  • McCasland adjustments - too often last year Tech did not make adjustments to what other teams were doing or did so too late. That won't be the case under the new regime. After not getting a whiff of a paint touch against Nova (more on that later) Tech made a concerted effort to do so against UNI and Michigan. There were heavier doses of ball screens and various actions to get players downhill or into better spacing. On the defensive side the same shone through. After getting torched against UNI's 5-out defense in the first half Tech adjusted and shut them down in the final stretch of the game and after letting Stupid Name Mcdaniels for Michigan go off for a 6-0 run they denied him any looks for most of the remainder of the game. Also, unlike years past when presented with a zone Tech actually attacked it instead of looking like they had never seen a zone defense before.
  • Aggressive Devon Cambridge - When he decides to make himself a factor in the half court Tech is a different team. He's strong, athletic and a good finisher at the rim. It seemed like they made a concerted effort to get him going downhill and work off cuts as the tournament progressed. More please.
  • Tech defense from the second half of the UNI game on - Simply put they looked like a defensive team from that point. The rotations were on point, screen coverages that had been blown were crisp and they played with a real physicality. If they continue to buy in there is no reason, they aren't a top 15 defense in the country.
  • Warren Washington rejecting DHO's - he did it multiple times and was rewarded with a dunk or foul each time. He has a good feel for that stuff. Also, he was very good protecting the basket.
  • Small Ball - when Tech went small with Cambridge at the 5 the offense looked great, and they can really punish an opposing team in transition.
  • Pop maturing - he showed real growth at the end of the UNI game. He could have taken a contested three but chose to drive to the basket and force the issue. And Tech won as a result.
  • Kerwin Walton minutes - Walton has forced his way into the rotation seemingly. He is playing the best defense of his Tech career, moving the ball on offense and generally busting his ass. Happy for him.

Things I liked less:

• Sloppy closeouts - killed Tech against UNI and Nova. Getting a hand up or flying at a defender late is the same as not closing out at all. It got better as the games progressed tho.
  • Pop's shooting splits - no bueno. they were mostly good shots but for Tech to be as good as they can he will need to shoot better. Even though he's a high variance player to begin with he is due for some very positive regression. I know he's going through alot rn so the struggles are more than natural. Continue to keep him and his dad in your thoughts.
  • Warren Washington only going over his left shoulder - I know he's not really a post up guy but 99% of the time in the post he goes up with a righty jump hook. The baseline was available multiple times as the defender was completely over playing him. Mix it up a bit.
  • Jimmy Dykes - that dude sucked
  • Deep threes early in the shot clock - too often Tech bails out defenses early in the shot clock by shooting quick threes. Make the defense work a bit. Even if it's a quality look you don't have to take the first deep 3 available.
Things I liked about as much as the Tech passing game Friday night:

• Paint Touches / Settling on offense - this was most striking in the Villanova game and in the first half against UNI. Tech couldn't pressure the rim at all and had to settle for contested looks over a set defense. They are capable of getting hot but that's a hard way to live on offense. Toussaint can give them some of this and it got better during the Michigan game but I can't help but think they are really missing a guard who can reliably get a shot off the bounce.
  • Struggles with length (lol) - Tech really struggled against the size and physical nature of Villanova's wings. Not many teams are going to roll out that many 6'5-6'7 wings but the B12 will have plenty.
  • Front Court depth - Jennings, Yalaho, Bueller? Jennings is unplayable at this point (very disappointing) and Yalaho is clearly not ready for rotation minutes this season. Gonna have to get by with small ball, a short rotation and praying that Washington doesn't get into foul trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News