SPITBALLIN' SpindleTap Spitballin': Quarterbacks, injuries, recruiting, more

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
By Chris Level

agngilzv97ynkwwbkyuc

Spitballin' is presented by our friends at SpindleTap Brewery. We cut through the Houston Haze with these insider tidbits, and you can enjoy a six-pack of Houston Haze and other SpindleTap favorites in stores near you!

… I think what I enjoyed the most Saturday was watching everyone have fun again in Jones Stadium. I’ll never forget looking around, watching Alan Bowman standing on a bench waving a towel and then seeing Chris Beard in the fifth or sixth row of the stands cheering and yelling. Sports.

… Loic Fouonji apparently had a tremendous visit this weekend and is weeks away from making a decision. He is set to visit Austin later this month when Texas takes on Kansas. Fouonji’s Midland Lee team will host Donovan Smith’s Frenship team on Friday night – should be a fun game to watch.

… Douglas Coleman appeared on Red Raider Football with Matt Wells a few weeks back and I asked him what he’s known for. He responded, without hesitation, “I’m a ball hawk.” Yes, yes he is. Coleman’s five interceptions in five games leads the country.

… I’m not usually like this, but I sure did enjoy seeing Baker Mayfield go 8-of-22 for 100 yards and two interceptions last night. I especially liked Nick Bosa’s flag-planting celebration. Well done, Nick.

… I spoke someone that watched the hit on Baylor quarterback Charlie Brewer who suggested, once they saw he was cleared to play, that Brewer might be dealing with an AC joint sprain. This would be something that just comes down to pain tolerance – it’s an uncomfortable injury, but you can play with it for sure. Pat Mahomes played with a Grade 3 (the worst) AC sprain on his throwing shoulder in 2015. I would guess Brewer will play without much restriction on Saturday.

… I had a fun conversation with Travis Bruffy earlier this week and my big takeaway was that Kliff Kingsbury still watches every Texas Tech game and texts various players regardless of result. Bruffy’s eyes lit up when talking about the congratulatory text he got from Kingsbury on Saturday.

… Alan Bowman’s injury occurred on Sept. 14, which was about 25 days ago. The original thought was that he would get an X-ray in six weeks to check in on the healing process, but Bowman is pushing for a four-week check-up which wouldn’t be too far from now. Whether the X-ray is taken this week or later this month, we will have to wait and see what it shows. Bowman is doing everything he can to speed that process up.

… Speaking of Bowman, if Jett Duffey keeps this level of play up then he would remain as the starter and rightfully so. That would sure make for a crowded quarterback room next season. If Bowman is able to redshirt this season, he would be a sophomore, Duffey would be a senior, Maverick McIvor would be a redshirt freshman and Donovan Smith would be a true freshman. I think it’s fair to wonder if they would all stay in that scenario.

… McIvor has been throwing some at practice. He still has a boot on, but he’s been throwing some and doing a few of the drills. Last I heard, barring a setback, he was still a week or two away from being cleared. Now, how much weight can he put on his foot, how in shape is he and how much can he handle are all fair questions to ask, but he could be in the mix again relatively soon.

… Nothing against Jackson Tyner at all, but knowing what we know now, I’m not sure I ever want to see him take another meaningful snap. He was as wide-eyed in Norman as I’ve ever seen, and I’m not sure anyone at all saw that coming because he was the exact opposite in practice. Now we know. Maybe he’s learned from it, though.

… I really felt like we watched Duffey and T.J. Vasher grow up quite a bit on Saturday. They’ve both been through a lot – some of that was self-inflicted – and have received their fair share of criticism. I think they have both matured quite a bit. I’m not just talking about them playing well, either. Watch their body language and the way they carry themselves now compared to before. It’s a very noticeable difference.

… Based on what I’m hearing, it is very, very likely that Texas Tech re-ups with Under Armour and an announcement may not be far off. There have already been discussions about ordering new football uniforms for the 2020 season. Don’t expect major changes, and I’m told the throwbacks will continue to be mixed in for the foreseeable future. What does a new deal with Under Armour look like? I’m not sure, but hopefully they take better care of the Red Raiders financially and on the field than before.

… This isn’t how it works, but with the injury list growing, I sure wish Joe Wallace, Justus Parker and DaLeon Ward were still around. Wallace and Parker especially would have certainly helped right about now.

… Regarding injuries, Texas Tech will be without the following for the rest of the season: WR Xavier White, OL Jack Anderson, WR Cameron Cantrell, DL Gilbert Ibeneme, DL John Scott, OL DeMarcus Marshall, LB Christian Taylor and TE Mason McHorse. I’m afraid that list might include WR Seth Collins as well. He isn’t very close to returning from that broken collarbone. We also haven’t seen OL Bailey Smith yet and he still appears to be a ways away. Theoretically, Bowman and McIvor could be on this season-ending list as well depending on how the next few weeks ago.

… I think Adrian Frye might have a chance to be back this week, but I’m not sure I expect to see Des Smith or Thomas Leggett against Baylor. That isn’t ideal at all. You will start to see a lot more of true freshmen and inexperienced guys like Alex Hogan, Quan Watts, Ja’Marcus Ingram, John Davis and Adam Beck moving forward.

… John Scott, who was shot in the spring, has lost nearly 100 pounds as a result of the wound he suffered. It really sucks for all sorts of reasons, and football is the least of it, but he would have been in the mix up front if healthy. It’s fair to wonder about his status moving forward.

… What will Keith Patterson do with Riko Jeffers set to miss the first half against Baylor? My guess is that it will be one of Brayden Stringer, Kosi Eldridge or Tyrique Matthews. It’s fair to say that there isn’t much trust in those three players just yet, and that is largely based on how good Jordyn Brooks and Jeffers are. We will see who gets a shot at it and what they do with it. I’m sure the Bears will be very aware of who that player is and try to pick on him some. You can bet the Red Raiders will do the same to whoever replaces Bears safety Chris Miller – he will also miss the first half on Saturday.

… I really liked the adjustment by David Yost to stretch the field with Texas Tech’s running game by going wide and getting those guys in space. Oklahoma State’s scheme allowed for a bit more than Oklahoma’s did, but I hope we see more of it going forward. It seems that is what suits this offensive line and backs better compared to just using inside runs the majority of the time.

… I think Baylor is very solid in all facets and the Bears aren’t beating themselves right now. I find it interesting that the team that has won the turnover battle has won the last seven games in this series. It’s also worth pointing out that the Red Raiders haven’t lost in Waco in the Big 12 era. Baylor is just one of 16 undefeated teams left this season and they will be playing at home with a big Homecoming crowd behind them. I wonder if the Bears will feel any pressure at all?

… It’s crazy to look back at Texas Tech routing Clemson in the 2002 Tangerine Bowl and nearly beating Alabama in the 2006 Cotton Bowl and then see where those two programs are right now.

… I hope to see some of you in Waco on Saturday. The basketball crowds in recent years when the Red Raiders are in town have been very impressive, and I’d guess there will be quite a few Red Raiders in town to see McLane Stadium for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News