ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Some Tuesday Spitballin'

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
... Terence Steele had the best spring of any Texas Tech football player and I'm not sure it was close. He wowed his new coaches so much so that his move to left tackle became a no-brainer. Steele has started 37 games in his career and he’s never really played much on the left side but he took to it quickly. Some on Matt Wells’ staff feel like Steele is the best tackle they’ve been around.

... The men's basketball team was eyeing a preseason trip to Italy this August but it looks like Chris Beard has changed his mind on that. Nothing is set in stone, but the current thought is that the Red Raiders may play in the Caribbean now. No matter the destination, I’d be surprised if Texas Tech isn't playing somewhere in August. These foreign trips are allowed every four years - recall Tubby Smith took the Red Raiders to Canada before his final season -- and it makes sense for Beard to pull the trigger on that this year given how many new players will be on the roster.

... Texas Tech fans in the Permian Basin can expect to see the Red Raider basketball team next December. I'm not 100 percent that this is done, but I believe it will be once Texas Tech gets an opponent lined up. This game would essentially take the place of the "Throwback Game."

... The Utah State football team ranked second in the country, behind Alabama, last year in an interesting category: most touchdowns scored in under a minute. The Aggies had 29 such scores last year. From being around Wells and David Yost some recently, that stat will be worth watching moving forward. They’ll look for big plays early and often on offense.

... Steele's emergence this spring helps balance out a major question for the offense heading into the summer: the center position. I think Will Farrar and Bailey Smith both did some good things this spring but neither head into the summer as 'the guy' due to inconsistency. Dawson Deaton missed most of the spring due to an injury and he could be an option at center this fall, too. Jack Anderson is a potential wildcard - and that could potentially help him get to the next level if he moved to center and excelled. Make no mistake about it -- finding a center that the Texas Tech staff can trust may be the top priority for this team between now and Aug. 31. I would guess Deaton and Anderson will both factor into this position battle at some point. We’ll see.

... There's no word yet on the eligibility of Nevada transfer McLane Mannix. The Red Raiders are fighting for it and they are hopeful based on recent trends with other players being granted immediate eligibility. Mannix will factor in right away if he gets the good word.

... The backup quarterback situation looked as if it would be a notable summer offseason question but that seems to be settled a bit now with McLane Carter opting to transfer. Alan Bowman will be backed up by Jett Duffey and incoming freshman Maverick McIvor this fall. Caleb Griffin, who sat out last year, will offer up some depth - our earlier report that he was leaving the program was incorrect. Xavier Martin, who didn’t show much this spring, will also work as depth. There is some thought that Martin could potentially help at receiver but he’s not interested in such a move. With Duffey, and this isn’t new, he needs to take better care of the ball -- still too many turnovers.

... Based on what we know from the spring, look for these signees to be expected to help right away: RB Alante Brown, TE Travis Koontz, WR Trey Cleveland, K Jon Garibay, P Austin McNamara, DE Tony Bradford, LB Tyrique Matthews, LB Bryce Robinson and McIvor.

... I wouldn’t rule out Texas Tech adding another grad transfer at running back or receiver. Keep an eye on that in the coming days and weeks because the Red Raiders have the room and the need at both positions.

... We’ll see, but I don’t think you’ll see Da’Leon Ward, Joe Wallace or Corey Fulcher back after they were suspended indefinitely early in the spring. There may be some other issues at receiver, hence the potential need for a grad transfer.

... I think Bowman's accuracy has really wowed the new Texas Tech staff. His mechanics aren’t great at times but he’s able to make nearly every throw and get it where it needs to be. Bowman has the ability to change his arm angle and remain accurate which isn’t something most quarterbacks are able to do. He’s obviously not Pat Mahomes but you get the idea. Bowman also quickly won over Wells and Yost with his leadership ability. I'm looking forward to watching him in the coming years because this team will have a chance in nearly every game it plays in as long as No. 10 stays healthy.

... I wouldn’t be surprised to see Parker Hicks, Malik Ondigo or Josh Mballa leave the men's basketball team this offseason in search of more playing time. Hicks is a great kid that does everything right but I get the sense he wants to play more and there's nothing wrong with that. With Ondigo and Mballa, at the end of the day I bet one stays and one goes but your guess is as good as mine on how that plays out. Nothing would surprise me with that duo and it will just depend on what they want, what Beard wants and what options the Red Raiders have with adding to their roster. Mballa has a big-time body and he can help on the glass and near the basket but his shot needs a lot of work. He’d be a huge liability on the offensive end next season unless he decides to change that. With Malik, great young man, always has positive energy and knows the schemes/plays as well as anyone on team outside of Beard and his staff. But, can he stay healthy and can he play? Those are questions that still need to be answered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News