ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Some hoops notes as practice begins....

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
The Red Raiders had their first practice of the preseason on Monday, and they're getting ready to roll for the 2015-16 season. As is the case, I spoke with Tubby Smith about the season for a piece for the magazine, and I wanted to share a few tidbits from our conversation.

*First, several injury updates:

-Tubby feels great about Norense Odiase and his knees, and they were very worried about him heading into the Canada trip. He's gone through some PRP treatments, which put platelet-rich plasma into the knees to try and slow or stop arthritis, tendonitis, etc. His body has responded very well to it.

-Another player that's undergone some PRP treatment is Keenan Evans. His knees started bothering him towards the end of the Canada trip, and they shut him down for the last three or four weeks. He should begin practicing again this weekend.

-Zach Smith chipped a bone in his left wrist on the Canada trip, but they caught it right then and have been wrapping it up, so there isn't any concern that it'll get any worse, and I think they feel good about it healing and him being ok.

-Justin Gray is still on the way back to being fully healthy from his knee issues last year, and they're still trying to bring him along pretty slowly, gets pretty sore after a hard practice right now.

*Coach Smith thought Keenan Evans had the best trip out of any player while in Canada, and they really like how he's growing as a shooter. They feel he's the best on-ball defender on the team right now.

*The coaches have also been very, very pleased with Devon Thomas so far. He's very vocal, athletic, and he's been a good distributor at the point. Tubby loves that he's also left-handed and drives the lane on the left side more often, which should good for them to get some mismatches.

*The head coach is very happy with the offseason that Isaiah Manderson had. He's grown up quite a bit, and a full offseason has done him a lot of good in the weight room. They also feel he's the second best post shooter behind Aaron Ross.

*Speaking of Ross, Coach Smith is really happy with his progress, too. He's lost weight and is finally really healthy again, and Tubby thinks he has the best shot on the team again now.

*On Jordan Jackson: "He's really become a talented shooter. He really shot the ball well in Canada after the first game. He's stepped up, and he's working on his shot. When his IQ catches up with his athleticism, he's going to be one heck of a player. I also love his competitiveness."

*Coach Smith also made sure to tell me that he thinks CJ Williamson may give some of the older players a run for their money at the two or three as starters, including both Toddrick and Justin. He needs to grow as a defender, but Tubby believes he's the best transition player on offense on the whole team.

*Finally, Rokas Ulvydas is on campus, but he's currently ineligible for the upcoming season. They're working on filing a waiver to get him eligible with the NCAA, so all that is up in the air right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News