ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Some Friday Practice Observations

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Got out to my first Tech baseball scrimmage of the fall this afternoon, and came away with a few things that stood out to me at Dan Law through about 4.5 innings.

-Pretty impressed by Robin Villenueve's defensive ability. The transfer from Tennessee made quite a few plays with his bright orange glove from Rocky Top, as was mentioned in some previous articles about the baseball practices. He is a shorter dude than I expected but is extremely built and put a couple good swings on a few balls.

-Peyton Schulze mixed in at 3B and I thought he took a pair of nice swings, both for singles that were sharply hit.

-Logan Hughes, the Stetson transfer, had a good build and looked good in batting practice. Had a single and a strikeout in the two at bats I saw.

-Garet Boehm has really filled out and matured physically. My initial thought was that he looked like Cade McGee. He really put in some work in the offseason and hopefully that will translate for him.

-Dominic Archilla was behind the dish and had a sharp single through the right side in this one. Going to be interesting how that battle shakes out at catcher.

-Kyeler Thompson had a double and a single in his two at bats. Really impressive frame for a JUCO kid.

-Came away feeling similar for Antonelli Savattere, who was pretty filled out and had a nice swing path. Excited for how it looks.

-Damian Bravo got some looks at second base. Didn't see any action but it was interesting to see. Came in as an infielder, so I guess it's not that surprising.

-Fr RHP Connor Mohan looked good in his two innings. Sitting 90-92 with the fastball while flashing a sharp 12-6 curveball that read 79 mph.

-Believe the Baylor transfer Stephen Sepulveda was on the mound as well. Flashed a 93 and gave up a couple hits, but it was pretty solid overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.