ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Some football and hoops tidbits

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
These are wild times. I’m not sure what the next several weeks and months have in store for us, but let’s Spitball.

… Right now, the Big 12 and SEC each plan on playing a full 12-game schedule until someone in a position of authority tells them they cannot. Texas Tech is down two non-conference games and I’m told that there is a verbal agreement in place to fill one of those two open dates, and they are considering a few options for the second. I do not know what teams are involved here, but progress is being made on that front.

… There will be an actual football practice for the Red Raiders this week. Friday is the first day that programs can have OTA-type workouts and programs get 10 allowable walk-through type practices on the field with coaches in a 14-day span. Texas Tech plans to use two of those this Friday and Saturday.

… LSU transfer Eric Monroe is expected to be in Lubbock this weekend and his arrival is highly anticipated.

… Henry Colombi’s transfer is much more than just adding a camp arm. Think of it in these terms: Colombi has, easily, had more reps in this system than any quarterback currently on Texas Tech’s roster. He also provides some insurance at that position because both Alan Bowman and Maverick McIvor have dealt with significant injuries in each of the last two years.

… Colombi will need a waiver to be eligible immediately and I’m told that Utah State will fully support that effort. And, as we have found out in other sports, the original program’s support holds a lot of sway in the waiver process. I think the Red Raiders hope to get word on Colombi by mid-August. If he gets that waiver, he’d have two years here. Utah State originally beat out Arkansas and Iowa State for him a few years ago when Wells was there and Marshall this go round who promised him their starting job. It’s unrealistic to think he could win the starting job here but, if he is eligible, the backup job is in play.

… On the basketball front, everyone is here and currently in town with the exception of Joel Ntambwe and I’m not sure anything will happen there soon or at all. Chris Beard’s team for next season may be the group that is currently here or maybe it isn’t. Either way, nothing needs to be settled until Sept. 1.

… This basketball team is LOADED. I have no idea about starters or chemistry yet, that will be something that Beard and staff work through in the coming months, but the Red Raiders have everything they need to make a legit run at a league title and more.

… Mac McClung and Marcus Santos-Silva will add two things this team desperately needed: shot making and confidence. Both players are very talkative and exude confidence. Most importantly though, they are both experienced. McClung lights up a room when he’s around with his energy and, yes, he can jump as high as you’d expect. He clearly LOVES basketball. Santos-Silva has that much needed ability to use leverage and angles in the low post that make him a threat all the time and toughness. Fans of this program will love these two.

… As for the new guys, DO NOT sleep on Chibuzo Agbo. I’m not sure they’ve had anyone since Beard has been here than shoots it prettier. Agbo’s form is exactly what you would teach a young player, and Agbo can pour ‘em in. He is equal parts three-man and four-man.

… This freshman class, which now includes Vlad Goldin, can all hurt you inside and out on offense. Vlad’s range is a huge part of his game and while I’m not certain he’s actually 7-foot-1, he’s awfully close and very skilled. Goldin is the best prospect that Texas Tech has added from Putnam and it isn’t all that close based on how they all were when they arrived. He is the opposite of raw which is different than every other Putnam signee. Nimari Burnett has shot it extremely well since he’s arrived and he’s just good, like really good. Micah Peavy is excelling with his mid-range game right now and like the rest of this class, he’s the definition of positionless. LOADED!

… Kevin McCullar and TJ Shannon have both worked tirelessly on their shots and that work clearly shows up these days. If they can knock down mid-range shots regularly it changes this entire team and they are both on the way to doing just that. It’s amazing how much different they both look compared to a year ago, too. There’s always a big difference between guys that walk in here on Day 1 compared to players that have been here for a year or longer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News