ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Soliz: Morton, Shough, Smith - and McGuire - had no answer for Baylor

B. Soliz

B. Vegas
Staff
Aug 7, 2017
Lubbock
- Baylor finally wins in Lubbock for the first time since 1990. That obviously includes the neutral site games in Arlington.

- The Red Raiders are now 4-4 with the window shutting on a possible six-win season and bowl appearance. Right now, I do not like the odds in Fort Worth against a TCU team that did struggle against West Virginia. However, Kansas and Iowa State await you on the schedule. I like their odds in those two even if Kansas was rolling earlier in the year. Oklahoma is still a tough out to end the year.

- To me and from what I've read from a lot of you - that was the offensive line's worst game of the year. Behren Morton had zero pocket for a huge majority of the game. Tyler Shough's garbage time minutes were filled with free shots at the QB who made his return to the field.

- The Donovan Smith pass to Loic Fouonji that was broken up was one of the nicest passes we saw on Saturday. The JJ Sparkman non-catch in the end zone looked like it should've been ruled a touchdown. The DB snagged it away from him, yes, but his foot appeared to be down and he had the ball at that time. McGuire said it was simultaneously possessed. Also, the early pass interference call on Rayshad Williams that resulted in a touchdown later in the drive was a total whiff by the officials. He didn't even make contact with the receiver at all while the play happened.

- Baylor's rushing attack was the big catalyst to Baylor's win. Blake Shapen's 30 yards on the ground was surprising to me because I could've sworn he had a ton more. He hurt the Red Raiders after he learned not to slide and to pick up firsts on third downs.

- SaRodorick Thompson was the spark Texas Tech needed when they made it into a game. I think they should've ran the ball from the get go and match Baylor on that end.

- Patrick Mahomes was forever immortalized at Jones AT&T Stadium on a terrible showing by the Red Raiders. Michael Crabtree was inducted into the Ring of Honor in 2020 when Texas visited - the Horns ended up winning, if y'all can recall, in overtime after a comeback. So, maybe take a pause from inducting someone during a conference game? Lol

- I just wanted to mention the fireworks during Mahomes' induction. It was the most fireworks I've seen Texas Tech use like ever.

- McGuire said Mahomes made sure he met all the Red Raiders and shook everyones hands. He was fired up to be back in Lubbock.

- I'm interested to see how the offensive line grades out by PFF. Again, they were ummm not good.

- Shough's first pass since his injury was a pick six. It just felt like it was coming. I feel for him watching that throw come out. But, nonetheless, three QBs throwing five interceptions just isn't going to work. Donovan Smith was a nice spark and almost had that TD throw. To me, Morton did start off terrible but I felt the confidence rise in him once they made it a game. If experience is what he needs then I keep him in the game to the end actually. I think pulling him at the start of the second half just to start over would've been the right moment. But keeping him in and watching him try to make plays reminded me of some of the games Mahomes played in where the defense wasn't existent and he was scrambling to survive.

- Anyways, I say stick with Morton on the road to take on TCU. McGuire said they'll go back and look at the film. They'll go into Tuesday off of that and will have a good feel on who the starter will be against the Horned Frogs. He said it's tough because they all missed on things today. "Again, I think all three of them will play." He said it won't be on rotation but for certain packages. I'll be in Fort Worth to see how that one unfolds. Not really too excited about how it's looking after this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News