ADVERTISEMENT

Round Rock Stuff To Do Thread

Bayou Raider

🌵🌵🌵
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
I'm procrastinating this morning so thought I would make some suggestions based on my opinions from living here the past 11 years.

Place to stay:
If it were me and my wife, I would immediately book a room at The Ruby Hotel & Bar near downtown Round Rock. Its a hip little hotel with a really great bar attached in a hidden part of downtown RR off the creek. Really pretty area and really cool hotel from what they say......and locals love the bar. I believe they have some rooms available as of now.

I think everything else is pretty standard. Can't think of anything cool and boutique unless you head into Austin....Domain area. Kalahari Resorts across the street from Dell Diamond isn't open yet but will be a great place to bring the family around Nov 2020.

Food and To Do:

BBQ first.

Go eat at Salt Lick right outside the ballpark. Its a well run restaurant and the food is very good. Not considered Elite BBQ by local standards, but I have never had a bad meal there and they are worth your time at least once and they will get you in and out swiftly.

Or, head on East on the same road (Hwy.79) straight into Taylor and go to Louis Mueller BBQ. It IS Elite and in my opinion the BBQ holy land for our area. If you are having BBQ once, just go there. Get the beef rib. As for all Elite BBQ places, I recommend getting there early Sat or Sun. Other really good BBQ places if you want to roam. Get to these early or miss out.

Black Box---Georgetown
Franklins---Austin
Mickelwait Meats---East Austin
Terry Blacks----Barton Springs, Austin. (used to be good no line option...not anymore)
La BBQ---East Austin

Downtown Round Rock is worth your time. You can park or Uber and walk around and its a cool vibe (as opposed to downtown Austin). I recommend Urban Eat+Drink. Great food and cocktails. A little off the main drag but cool area. For bar, go to The Brass Tap for lots of draft beer or go to The Rock sports bar or as I stated above, The Ruby's bar. I would not be afraid to pop in anywhere down there though. Louisiana Longhorn has been there since we moved here and is good Cajun food if you want. Dude is a big LSU fan. Liberty BBQ is ok. Round Rock Donuts is down there and considered a destination place. You can get a big ass donut there. Kerby Lane cafe is 3-4 miles up Mays and is good breakfast/brunch.

Google Jack Allen's and head right up the freeway for another option. He has the restaurant down the road called Salt Traders as well. Both are really good. He's a farm to table guy and I've always had stellar meals at his restaurants. Sit at the bar until your table is ready. Everything around here is fairly casual btw.

Georgetown Square. Go there for a daytime trip to shop and walk around. Awesome town square centered around the court house. Pop into 600 Degrees Pizzeria...you'll thank me. Great food and pizza and small plates...plus local draft beer. Its awesome. Monument Cafe is also really great. Its a staple and old school diner done well. I like El Monumento but my wife doesn't. She hates Sunday buffets. But its in a cool spot with good vibe. Safely pop in just about anywhere down there. Take the wifey to Brazos Market Boutique and buy here some candles or a t shirt or some over priced jewelry.....its a cool shop though if you need a present for the ladies.

Other than that:
Domain in Austin if you are single or want another place with great restaurants and a plethora of up scale shopping. Park by Nordstroms and turn right at Apple store. Go anywhere for food. We like Culinary Dropout. Casual with great food and sports.

Downtown Pfugerville is cool. Haven't been there in a while.

Sushi. Only place we go is Sushi Fever in Cedar Park. Its a haul, but well worth it.

Good luck! Safe Travels! Wreck'em!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News