ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched the Offensive Snaps from Saturday

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
And really liked the gameplay from Yost. I have been pretty disappointed in the offense, up until Saturday, and that's mainly because of how excited I was for the Yost hire. He has a good pedigree, and his USU offenses were fun to watch. I thought he got back into that groove some Saturday.

- My favorite adjustment was there seemed to be less "check with me" especially in the first half when they weren't trying to work the clock.

- The inside linebackers were terrified of Duffey's legs, opened up the middle of the field quite a bit.

- Seemed to use more formations and personnel packages

- I'm not totally convinced the OLine played that much better in the run game, but I think the game plan put them in situations to succeed.

- Pass Pro was exceptional

Got bored today, so I gif'd some stuff.

This play is really interesting, and they ran it over and over and over. The O Line was running outside zone one way, while Jett and the running back were flowing the opposite way. Put those LBs in a bind.

Although it was somewhat frustrating in real time, it was really impressive to watch Jett just take what the defense was giving him, almost nothing forced. Hitting these regularly opens the deep shots up later.

The screens to the running backs in this game were just... just... borderline erotic. I'm not sure how good of a run blocking group these guys are, but they can really get out in space and lock on to second/third level defenders. This is a screen that every team in the country runs, tackles occupy the ends, interior lineman get a clean release and a kick out, seal, and clean up.

Just a great play design in this next one. Jett's been taking the short stuff all day and they have been killing them with RB screens, so they run some stutter routes and flare the RB to freeze the DBs. Not only that, they pull the guard to give a power run look and freeze the LBs. Then the Eazy-E hype shows up.

Last one, then I'll shut up. Just another really cool play design, again, they have been killing OSU with outside runs all day, so they have to respect the jet sweep. Receivers attack DBs like a block, then slip right on by. Throw in a pulling guard to sell the run, and you've got an easy throw and catch.

This is the kind of stuff I expected from Yost, and I'm not really sure why it took until Jett got the job for it to show up. I'm concerned that he needs a QB run threat to be really effective, and I don't know where that leaves Bowman when he is healthy. I don't think every problem has been fixed, we were plus 5 in turnovers and only won by 10 and this could all come crashing down in Waco next week, but I was encouraged by this offense for the first time since December.

TL;DR
I got overly excited about Saturday, and made gifs of good plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News