ADVERTISEMENT

Red Raider Confidential (June 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen W.

Techsan
Gold Member
Jun 8, 2005
Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan: time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Let the Gallington Watch Begin!

If Texas Tech were to land offensive lineman Deveric Gallington in the next few weeks, it would be a great beginning to their offensive line class and would likely give Tech some serious momentum heading into the fall.

However, for Tech to have that opportunity, they're going to need some help. Gallington's situation is well-documented, as he is waiting on an offer from Florida, which they have told him will come on Friday if it's going to come at all. So at this point, it becomes a waiting game for Tech, with the knowledge that if Florida doesn't offer the talented big man, he will likely be throwing his guns up in the near future.

So what caused the three-star prospect to drop Oklahoma State and others off his list and declare Texas Tech as the only other school he would consider?

"I like the offense they run," he explained. "I like how you learn pass protection really well. They go to bowl games every year, which is awesome, and they send their linemen to the NFL."

While Gallington certainly enjoys the aforementioned traits of Tech's program, he also says Tech's coaches have done a great job of making him feel loved.

"I talk to Coach Riley like everyday," he explained. "I called him today and we talked about their offensive line coach and then I talked to the new O-Line coach. He seemed really cool, like he was real laid back, which was great. I called Coach McGuire too, and he's just another real laid back, cool guy."

But, just to make sure, it's just the Red Raiders and the Gators, right?

"It is just Tech and Florida at this point, period. I mean, I would love to be a Gator, but if they don't really want me, then Texas Tech does and I'm more than happy with that, believe me. And once it's done, it's done. That's it. Period."

Curtis Hears From Doege

If DeAnthony Curtis' talent was ever in doubt, it is most certainly not nowadays, as Curtis was recently named the number two All-Purpose Back in the entire country by Rivals. At this point, Curtis appears to be the most highly regarded all-purpose back to ever consider Tech out of high school, and apparently 2008 commit Seth Doege wants Curtis to put his talent to use at Texas Tech.

"I actually talked to Seth Doege the other day," he answered when asked if any schools' commits had contacted him. "He's the quarterback commit from Texas Tech, and apparently he is pretty tight but he tore up his knee last year so he's trying to earn some more respect this season. And I talk all the time to Jim Youngblood, my quarterback who's committed to Arkansas."

So how did that conversation with Doege go?

"It went really well," he explained. "He just said he wanted to play with me and wanted me to get down there. We just kind of texted back and forth. I told him there was a real good chance I end up going down there. I also told him I'm going to go down there and visit but that I didn’t know when or anything. I'm sure we'll talk more in the future."

While Curtis seems to be interested in Tech at this point, landing him would be a monumental achievement and will be anything but easy. However, if Doege continues to assert himself and build a relationship with Curtis, it would certainly go a long way towards helping Tech's shot.

Doege Showing "It" Factor

It has been mentioned on more than one occasion that Seth Doege's best attribute may not even be a physical ability, but rather his ability to lead, an intangible that several football minds have called the "it" factor.

Nearly every other recruit we speak to says something about Doege in some form or fashion, and in our opinion, this bodes very well for Tech. Not only will this undoubtedly help the 2008 recruiting effort, but it is also a sign of things to come on the gridiron. Not many quarterbacks take this kind of initiative and show this sort of leadership.

One thing is certain, Doege is a special player and a phenomenal leader, and Tech is lucky to have him in the fold.

Jeffers 100%?

Four-star running back Harrison Jeffers was one of Tech's first commitments and certainly remains one of its more heralded prospects. However, lately, with Jeffers' cell phone being turned off, it has been hard to get a hold of the talented Oklahoman. And with rumors flying left and right of Jeffers supposedly looking at Kansas State, the communication freeze couldn't have come at a worse time for Tech fans.

Luckily, Jeffers teammate and quarterback Braden Stringer was in attendance at last weekend's mini-camp, and we had the chance to ask the signal caller about his tailback's thoughts concerning Tech and the recruiting process.

"He's excited," said Stringer. "He's really, really excited about Tech."

So what's the deal with Kansas State? Is there any merit to the rumors?

"I don't think so," he answered when asked if Jeffers was seriously considering Kansas State. "But, the only thing about Kansas State is that his brother lives in Manhattan, so there's always that I guess. That's the only reason I could see him considering another school."

Stringer then went on to explain that Tech probably has nothing to be on the edge of their seat about.

"I mean, I wouldn't worry," he stated. "I see him wearing Tech stuff all the time. As far as I know, he's 100% Tech. I mean, he hasn't said anything to me about anyone else, including Kansas State. It's all Tech from what he tells me."

Askew to Visit?

We spoke to standout defensive lineman Lavunce Askew last week while he was attending Arkansas' football camp. Here are a few of the things Askew had to say:

On Lincoln Riley: "Oh you know that's my boy right there. He texted me today and I sent him my camp results. I was 6-foot-2, 280-pounds, I had a vertical of 28.5, and I ran an electronically timed 4.83 forty."

On Pressure From Arkansas at Camp: "They tried to get me to commit really hard, but I told 'em I would have to get back to them on that."

On his summer visit schedule: "I don't know really. I'm trying to get to Tennessee next weekend and my dad, De’Anthony, and I want to visit Tech pretty soon too."

Jarious Wright Still Looking At Tech

We spoke to four-star receiver Jarious Wright last night, and he informed us that he is no longer listing a top anything.

"I'm not naming any favorites anymore," he said. "All of my offers are even."

Wright, who recently added an offer from Mississippi State, also said that while the recruiting process has slowed down as of late, there was one coach who has been faithful in his communication.

"I talk to Texas Tech a lot," he answered when asked if he had talked to any coaches lately. "Coach Riley and I will text and I'll call him and stuff. They're an alright school. I don't know much about them, so I'll probably go check them out on an official visit to see what's up out there. But for now I'm considering everyone."

More on Tech’s newest commit

Although he seemed a little disappointed with being placed at defensive tackle, that’s where Tech commit Broderick Marshall played at his first season for Tyler Junior College. In his second year, the 6-foot-4, 280-pound talent says that he there’s a possibility he could be placed at two different spots.

“Coach said that he was going to have me going at defensive tackle and defensive end and have me switch between those two positions during the game, not as much as I was hoping I would because they really weren’t sure on moving me to defensive tackle but they didn’t have a choice because a lot of the defensive tackles didn’t make it through two-a-days last year and I needed to step up. We had a lot of defensive end’s last season, so they needed me at tackle. I played a few snaps at end but not as much as I was hoping I would.”

Has the Red Raider commitment had a chance to speak to Texas Tech and find out what position he’ll back at in Lubbock?

“They still contact me and talk to me every other week. They said when I transfer back that they would like to see me at strong side defense end and playing defensive tackle down here. I was getting second thoughts about what position I should play but I was happy to hear that they want me at strong side defensive end.”

So has Marshall gotten to see any of the Tech coaches recently?

“Yeah, I have. It’s the same one’s that recruited me out of high school. They’ve made a few visits to Tyler. Dennis has made the most visits out here, he’s real cool and I like talking to him.”

Since grades kept him from Tech the first time, how are Marshall’s grades?

“They’re alright; they could be a whole lot better. I’m at summer school right now and I talked to Dennis about this and the way it looks right now it looks like I may not graduate to get there early after Christmas break but he told me that he’ll wait for me and that it’s worth it. I was down when I found out about it but he said he’ll wait for me. So I’m taking this summer school so that I can get out of here on time and finish this last season strong. Academics is lacking a little bit, but it’s nothing I can’t fix. The plan for me coming up here was for me to graduate early but the way it’s looking right now I’m going to fall a couple hours short, so I’m going to have to graduate in May and transfer out then.”

What has Marshall learned from having to go the JUCO route?

“I’ve learned a couple of things. It made me realize that I’m going to have to work for everything and hopefully I’ll get to where I want to be. I don’t question it at all because everything works out for the best.

“I was talking to [Simmons] and he said he wanted to bring me up there for a visit probably after the football season was over with and everything. I want to go back up and check out the campus again and see what I’ve missed over the last year or so. I haven’t been up there in a while, so he says he wants to bring me back up there.”

Have any other schools been pursuing Marshall?

“Yeah, there have been a couple of them. Kansas State, Oklahoma State (offered). They offered me out of high school and are keeping their word and said they’d follow me through junior college and have been keeping in contact with me a lot. They’re just letting me know that they really need me and want me to go on a visit. Visits are always fun so I don’t know if I can say no to that, but I don’t know how the Tech coaches will take it.

“Right now, I’d say I’m 100%.”

Marshall’s coach chimes in

Tyler Junior College defensive line coach Tony Harvell is packing up his bags today in a move that will take him to the division-I level as a defensive graduate assistant at Middle Tennessee State. But for the last year, Harvell has had an opportunity to get to work with Tech’s newest commitment, Marshall. We took a few minutes to crack Harvell’s brain about the ups and downs of this 6-foot-5, 280-pound mass of humanity.

“Obviously most of the time a guy at his size can't run and move very well but he is the total opposite," said Harvell. "He'll run through a brick wall if you tell him to. He's the kind of guy that believes in what you're teaching him."

Harvell added that Marshall is one of the best he’s coached and most definitely has NFL potential.

“Tech isn’t going to have any problems with Marshall except for maybe getting him in the classroom, and that’s the reason why he’s here in the first place. We were a little worried about his academic situation last semester but he locked down and tried really hard and passed all of his classes but one. We have him back on track this summer to be eligible this fall. He’s not going to be able to graduate by December, but if he will continue to go to class then he will be done by next spring and worst case scenario, middle of the summer.”

It was also added by Harvell that at times it seems that there is a maturity issue with Marshall right now but feels that he has grown up just in one year in front of his eyes and believes that a strict football program (such as Tech’s) will help him excel in the future.

Lynn’s summer schedule

We talked to Celina safety D’Anton Lynn on Monday afternoon:

“I just left Louisville yesterday and I went to their camp and looked around and now I’m in Cleveland with my dad.”

Lynn’s father, Anthony Lynn, is now on the coaching staff with the Cleveland Browns.

Lynn headed back to Texas mid-week because of 7-on-7 obligations but will be back on the road soon.

“I go to UCLA on the 20th (of June) and then on the 21st I go to USA. On the 23rd and 24th I go to Penn State. That’s all for June.”

Yes, ‘that’s all’ the competition that the Red Raiders have while trying to snag this Tech legacy. The most telling evidence will be when Lynn lists his final top five, in which he says he will visit each school one more time.

He did mention immediately after his visit a few weeks ago that he would come back to visit Tech but that wouldn’t be until mid to late July, at the earliest. Lynn also added after visiting Louisville that he feels the Cardinals will get a second visit later this summer as well.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here[/URL].

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News