ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Ramirez: Balance, parity become common denominator in new look Big 12 pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Day 1 of Big 12 Media Days has come and gone, a day jam packed with interviews and news that got the people buzzing all across the country. I know for myself this experience was unlike any other. So many people who I had only ever seen on TV were face-to-face with me and I was able to get a deeper perspective on every program in attendance today. Forgive me for the length of this, but there was a lot to take in for one day, so stick with me here.

I want to first go over what was a lengthy portion of the day dedicated to commissioner Brett Yormark. Deservedly so, everybody was anxious to hear the man speak but ultimately walked away knowing little more than what you would have known if you kept up with the happenings of the conference. Yormark’s hour-long segment was spent mostly letting everybody know how successful the Big 12 was in his first year at the helm and it was encouraging to see what progress was made and what plans are in the works. No talk on expansion, though, as Yormark was quick to shut anything down and he even refused to address it in the first place, for the most part.

The most interesting person at the event today was without a doubt Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy, who never fails to leave a mark in front of the camera. Today, however, it was amplified even more with Gundy being constantly asked about the state of Bedlam and it going away after this season. It was apparent Gundy was upset about losing that rivalry, and it got all of us here talking about Tech losing its rivalry with Texas.

Kalani Sitake was another coach I’d like to spotlight. It was clear how appreciative Sitake was to even be here in Arlington, with his entire opening statement dedicated to thanking those who helped him get to this position and those who helped BYU get into the Big 12. I asked Sitake after his onstage segment if the Cougars consistently playing Power 5 opponents would help them get the upper hand over the other three newcomers, to which he replied that he ‘hopes so’.

Steve Sarkisian caught the eyes and attention of many, which I figured was going to happen with his Longhorns being selected to finish as champions in the conference. When I asked Sark about the weight that Texas’ final regular season game holds coming against Texas Tech (which I noted was a rivalry), he was quick to state that everybody is going to give Texas their best shot, and he hopes the weight that game holds is a possible championship berth. I am sure many of you agree with that sentiment, but instead placing it on the team in red and black.

What I truly gained the most out of today’s session was the overwhelming idea of balance and parity in the league. Pretty much every coach that spoke today made note of that idea in some form or fashion. Dana Holgorsen even went as far as making a comment about in years past there would be “layup” games, but not anymore, which I find to be a fair assessment. There’s definitely clear favorites and clear not-so-favorites. Sonny Dykes may have made a comment about last season, anybody from the first place team to the last place team could beat anybody, and that has not changed this season.

Dykes was hammered with questions about Kendall Briles taking over at OC with Garrett Riley departing to Clemson. Holgorsen and Sitake were pressed about being the new kids on the block. Lance Leipold of Kansas met a barrage of questions about managing expectations and handling the success of last season. Dave Aranda, with his mind understandably not focused on football, made it known that he understood why the wheels fell off for the Bears last season. Gundy was relentless in his disgust with Oklahoma leaving the conference. And of course, Sarkisian made it known that he was well aware of the target that has been placed on his team's back.

Overall, for Tech fans this day was not truly the most exhilarating but as a fan of college football I was happy taking in the sights and sounds of the day. Day 2 spells fun for all of us with Joey McGuire and his guys set to take the stage and podiums, and I am sure they will be looking to put people on notice for 2023.

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News