ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Quick Thoughts: Tech Hoops v. Texas Southern (pres. by Fields of Gold)

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2015
>> It's unfortunate that Texas Southern was missing their PG last night. We didn't really get tested the way we thought we would. He would've made a difference, and I would've liked to have seen Pop try to defend him on the perimeter.

>> It's really hard not to like the pieces on this team. Not only do they appear to be good at basketball, they also look cool -- Lamar Washington, Pop, Batcho, Tyson, etc. And many of them are young, with anything they do that's frustrating easily explained away by their youth. It's also fun to think your team can shoot. And I'm pretty sure this team can.

>> Kerwin Walton keeps making plays. A couple of really good post entry lobs to Obanor. Knocked down an outside shot. First guy off the bench.

>> I can see why D'Maurian Williams is behind a few guys off the bench. He's a little small and not an elite athlete. But man, we are going to be pretty dang good if he's our 8th or 9th best player. He has a really solid offensive game. Can hit shots and is a factor off the dribble.

>> We're going to need to be patient with Pop Isaacs. He's got a pretty serious case of the throw-it-to-the-wrong-team virus. To be fair to Pop, it afflicts many FR point guards. Especially ones that missed a lot of practice in the off-season but are still being asked to initiate offense right away. I like Pop's fearlessness. You can tell he doesn't give a sh*t by him jacking up a 24-footer off the dribble while Mark Adams is yelling, "Move it! Move it! (pass the ball)".

His turnovers are at a high enough rate right now to eventually limit his playing time. I don't think they will. He'll start to figure things out. But it might take him about 20 games to do so.

>> Harmon was the MVP of the game. Took care of the basketball. I love the way he interacts with the crowd. Oklahoma's home basketball crowds were absolutely garbage when he was there. And I don't think he ever really felt at home at Oregon. He's not really forcing anything or hunting his shot like others are on the team. I think we got a team-first guy in Harmon, which is something a transfer PG needs to be. The rest of the team will sense that.

>> Jaylon Tyson is going to be fun to watch. He can put it in the hoop. Great looking shot, plus he showed some really good finishes at the basket, most with his left hand. He's still got this baby-deer element to him, where it feels like his game hasn't quite caught up to how much taller / bigger he is now compared to when he was in HS. He's got a chance to be really, really good one day, including this season. Some of those baseline jump shots he takes off the dribble are not defendable because of how tall he is for a guard.

>> I see the Batcho hype. His motor is off the charts. Just relentless. He may have forced a jump shot or two last night. They will occur naturally within our offense. It's not really necessary for him to take them early in the shot clock or attempt some kind of fadeaway without it being our only option during a possession. He runs the floor unlike many bigs. Goes after every rebound. He's also just a really good athlete. Can catch in traffic, can put it on the floor better than 90% of centers. He really is a problem. I understand now why Aimaq couldn't keep up with him in practice. He's just a menace.

>> Two over-matched opponents rebounding >30% of their missed shots is not a great sign. But it's something we may need to just live with. Last year's team was like tanks rolling over the hill. Bullies all over the floor, many of them 24 years' old, that destroyed people on the glass. This year's team has a little more finesse to their game, even some of our taller guys like Tyson and Walton. The offensive turnovers is something we can absolutely fix -- I expect us, too. But I'm not so sure we can do the same on the glass. Losing Aimaq hurts us here big time.

B96510FE-7CA5-493C-8617-803444CAD497.png

Ryan left it all out on the field in everything he did. In his honor, we bring you Fields of Gold, so that others facing bone cancer can keep on playing. A portion of proceeds from every case sold is donated to The Little Warrior Foundation.

The Little Warrior Foundation's mission is to fund & find a lasting cure for childhood cancer, with a specific focus on Ewing's Sarcoma.

https://shop.summerlandwinebrands.com/Shop/Fields-of-Gold

@Saynotobarefoot

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.