ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts KSU Game Yesterday

Rolf C

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2004
This is going to be a tangent but I always try to write down my thoughts so here ya go.

When the game ended and Texas Tech had won, immediately the first thing that ran through my mind was another game against Kansas State.

Put on your Way Back Hats and let your mind return to 2005. 19 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. The Red Raiders opened conference play by losing at Oklahoma State, I don't recall the score but it wasn't a blowout. It wasn't close exactly but Tech didn't roll over and die. The next game was also a road game, this at Kansas State. Texas Tech won on the last shot by Curtis Marshall - I think all the starters scored in double figures. Second game of the season and I knew right then that Red Raider team was good.

That game was a good result, but that was the second half of what made that team good. Tech left Lubbock that morning for a Manhattan night game, and they got fogged out of flying into Manhattan. They got diverted somewhere, that detail escapes me, but it was a couple hours drive to the KSU campus. Raiders loaded up a bus and off they went to Manhattan, but the driver got lost. Can you imagine being on that bus? Texas Tech finally rolls up to the arena maybe an hour before tip, having not eaten since they were in Lubbock. They ate some hotdogs and made the shootaround, and won the game. I could be fuzzy on some details but this is the gist of what happened.

We knew right then that team was good, that team was mentally tough. They would go on to have a winning conference record and beat UCLA and Gonzaga in the tourney.

This current team is good, they are mentally tough. There are not 20 teams in the country that could suffer a 20-0 run and win, there's just not. There's not 5 teams in the country that could suffer a 20-0 run and only give up 59 total points, give up a 20-0 run and win by scoring 60. That's just rare.

Kansas State is a good team, they have good size and good shooters, they play some defense and are rough inside. Perry is really good and he's going to get some wins. That big beast they have inside is a good Big 12 post. They have a good coach. The Big 12 is a coaches league so every team has a good coach or they quickly get washed out.

Red Raiders are just better. There will be no games the rest of this season where KSU goes on a 20-0 run and loses, you can take that to the bank. But they lost yesterday because this Texas Tech team is tough. They are mentally tough and they are physically tough. This is a good team and it's ok to say they are a good team. Are there 25 better teams in America right now than Texas Tech? No chance.

They are tough but tenuous. We know the Raiders are thin inside and we think at some point that's going to cost them, and it probably will - but it hasn't yet. I don't think the short rotation means anything good or bad, a lot of teams have short rotations once conference play starts - probably most teams. Fouls and injuries impact every team, and that includes Texas Tech. The Raider rotation is one short due to Devan Cambridge's injury, minus that it's a 9 man rotation which seems perfectly fine.

I came into this season with no expectations at all, I just thought I'd watch and learn about the coach and the roster. Well we have all watched and we should have all learned by now this team is good. This is a tournament quality team, it really is and I'm embracing it. I have an expectation now, this team has set an expectation based on their level of play and right now, today, I expect them to play hard, compete, and win some games.

This team has a target on their backs now because they are in first place in the conference. Look at Houston, after three games they have two losses - you know they are going to be ready to rock and roll on Wednesday night! I fully expect to get the best Houston effort of the season so far, and I'm very interested to see how Texas Tech responds after yesterday's win.

I don't expect this team to win out, that 2005 team finished 10-6. Can this team finish four games over? Maybe so. It will be fun finding out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News