ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Quick hits from post-scrimmage discussion with coach McGuire

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
I won't go too in depth here because @J. Apodaca has some good reads on the way for you all. Here's a couple small tidbits from what Joey told us today after the team's first scrimmage.

- Mentioned Jordan Brown looks really solid at outside receiver. I put a tweet out about this but according to JM, Brown had "two, maybe three touchdowns" today in practice. When asked about returners, JM mentioned Brown in both punt and kick return duties. Will be most likely backing up Myles Price at PR, but will be a primary kick returner with Drae McCray. It is also understood that Brown is now weighing in around 190 pounds after weighing at most 180 "on a good day" last season. Also touched on a play where Brown had a deep ball catch with a safety closing in to make a hit and he ran right through the tackle. Excited about him, for sure.

- Something that will never get old is getting updates on Bryce Ramirez, JM confirmed he was full go and fully live today. I'm not sure what limitations, if any, he's had up to this point in fall camp but it is great to hear how he is doing and how much he has progressed. JM mentioned it was a testament to the training staff how well he has been able to recover.

- I had asked coach Yates the other day about Jalon Peoples working in at safety, thinking he had made a full position change. It turned out he is working at both corner and safety still in order to continue to build depth at safety but still keeping him at his natural position of corner as much as possible. I asked JM about this again today and he said Peoples took all of his snaps at corner today. Again, they're working him in at safety to alleviate the pressure of possibly playing too many freshmen who are not ready for that yet.

Quotes coming your way when Justin gets those to y'all...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News