ADVERTISEMENT

Portal players

redstormrising!

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2004
Saban just said on GD that "portal players are there for a reason" and that using portal players is a "microwave fix" for programs.

I feel that's very poignant for a coach of that statue to say that. Yes, he is "old school". Yes, he is bias due to his experience at a school of Alabama's stature.

When the portal opened up, everyone seemed to believe that it was like the pot of gold, this resource of fantastic players that would level the playing field for programs. Even some posting here that HS recruiting doesn't matter anymore because you can just portal the "non-performers" out and add in better portal players.

My personal observations over the past few seasons have proven to me that is just not the case. As my views of portal players and portal strategy have evolved, my skepticism of these players has only increased. Moreover, it has cemented my opinion that building a program of HS players is still the most assured path to success.

Portal player are like crack cocaine for some coaches. Ahem... Coach Beard...ahem. Always seeing the green grass on the otherside and not coming to terms of the hard work needed to recruit and develop players to build a program for long-term success.

Portal players are there for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.