ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the flag should stay! long rant..

pmraider

Red Raider
Sep 7, 2011
Sorry not usually a big follower of politics, but I am very passionate about american history. So I have to rant on this one.

They should leave the South Carolina confederate flag where it is... Do most people realize that the state banners were proudly carried next to the national ones during the civil war? That's right the lone star flag flew next to the confederate flag with Hood's Texas Brigade, lees shock troops during the eastern campaigns. Are people going to want to remove state flags next since they were associated with slavery as well? I for one am very proud of the ancestors who fought during the civil war, and hate to see people so eager to forget pieces of my favorite era in American history.

It's hanging over a confederate memorial, what are they going to remove that too? Are we going to dig up confederate graves next? Let the flag fly where it is, they already took it off the Capitol dome. The flag represents over 200,000 dead Americans who fought and died for their home states, most of them did not own slaves. And thousands more Americans who sacrificed everything from farms to homeland in countless ruined communities. all for their families, native states, and what they thought to be a just cause. These are people whithout whose ancestry and without the contribution of their states in the revolution, Virginia, South Carolina... There would be no United States... Yes that's right, if it wasn't for slave states and slaveholders like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson our country would not be where it is today. Should we blot their names out of history too because they were associated with slavery? Or maybe they deserve to have an asterisk by their name since they cheated somehow?

And to be honest the Stars and Stripes has more history of slavery than does the confederate cross.. The institution was protected and legalized under the Stars and Stripes for many years, and when slaves were brought to this country it wasn't the confederate flag that they were dreading to see. Maybe people will want to redesign the american flag next since some people think it once flew over a slave nation and is offensive to others?

So stupid, leave it where it is. People just feel like they need something to blame. And most people clamoring to take it down don't care at all about history, and know nothing about it. They threaten our history and ancestry by removing symbols from our past. Every state, north and south should have a memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fought and died under their banners during the civil war. And the flags they fought under should fly over the memorials. Under no time period in history have Americans, north and south, black, white, and foreign, sacrificed so much.

Reactions: texaskstar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News