• No

Votes: 100 66.7%

• Total voters

ZWP

Matador
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2004
Need some advice.

Short Story: Is getting an MBA worth it?

Long Story: I'm 42. I have a great job, happy with what I make (for now) and feel good about my career trajectory right now. I have been in the music business for 15 years (television for 10 years prior to that). More specifically I am in sales/partnerships where I help oversee sponsorship across a portfolio of about 30 music festivals coast to coast. But for some time now I have often thought about getting my MBA. Two years ago I was accepted into the Executive MBA program at UT but the timing was terrible as I was changing jobs and about to go work for a start up where I knew I'd be crushed 24/7 and not have mush free time, so I didn't do it. Fast forward to now and I was accepted into the Online Executive MBA program at UNC Chapel Hill, and I want to do it, but I am torn as I do't want to waste my time or $100k.

The first question you'll probably ask me is 'Why do you want to get an MBA?' And the truth is I don't know lol. I don't have a specific reason as to why. But what I do know is I want to try and separate myself from other potential candidates down the road. I am interested in continuing to further my education around finance, business, leadership, management, etc. I feel like I could use the challenge and I want/need more tools for my tool belt (cheesy I know). I want my resume/LinkedIn to stand out even more. etc etc etc

I love what I do but I often think about the big picture and other industries and know that transitioning to another field can be tough without experience, but wonder if having this in my back pocket could help.

So, I don't have a specific reason as to why, I just know that I want to be a c-suite exec at some point and want to maximize my earning potential.

What say you RRS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News