ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How do I tell my wife I had to put our dog down while she was out of the country?

KRaider

Matador
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2005
Houston Heights
Had to put down my best buddy of 13 years on Monday morning. He started walking around awkwardly late Sunday night like he had to poop or vomit and could never get comfortable or relax. I stayed up with him past midnight thinking whatever it was would be temporary. He had been diagnosed with pancreatitis so I figured maybe it had to do with that. Seemed like his condition improved some so I put him in his crate for the night hoping everything would be fine in the morning.

I let him out in the backyard the next morning to poop and he was still walking around awkwardly so I called the vet's office when they opened 8am to see how soon I could bring him in and they said 10:30 so I booked it but 30 min later he collapsed on the floor panting heavily. I called the vet back and they said to take him to a vet ER. I carried him from the house to the truck and from the truck to the ER where I laid him on the OR table.

The ER scrambled to setup an IV while I described his symptoms. The vet in charge told me she suspected his stomach had twisted (gastric dilatation volvulus) and it was a very serious and painful condition. She said they could operate but there was only a 50/50 chance of survival with a severe impact on quality of life if he did survive. She recommended euthanization. I had to make the decision to relieve his 10 hours of pain. I made sure my face was his last image when they gave him the injection.

So while all this happened my wife was at an all female yoga/camping retreat in the Columbian jungle where her phone had no service. When she did find service and called the next day, I decided not to tell her to avoid ruining her trip. I'd rather tell her in person on our way home from the airport even though I know she will hate me.

I pick her up from the airport in the morning. I've tried walking through this conversation 100 times in my head and I still don't know how to begin.

Any advice from people used to giving bad news like this?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News