ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Exploring new professional opportunities

TechAlum2018

🌵
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
Hoping some fellow Red Raiders can help me with a current professional dilemma. Would be great to hear about your experiences with jumping to new professional opportunities and how you knew it was time.

I’ve been at my current job for 4 years now and the first 3.5 years have been great including a promotion. This year has been rough. Leadership has changed over with more to come and so far the culture, professional development and my general happiness have taken some blows. My direct manager is not invested in his work or any of his direct reports so that’s made things all the more difficult. Long story short, I’ve started entertaining some of the recruiters reaching out to me on LinkedIn. I’m currently a Sr. Analyst and they’re hitting me up for manager or lead roles at peer companies. I’m intrigued but not sure I’m ready, plus my departing VP (who has also become my professional mentor) has advised me to be patient through the changes because they’ve got me on a fast track to go really far. That VP is retiring next week and 3 of my other “advocates” if you will have left the company recently in a combination of new opportunities and job cuts. Patience is a big ask with such significant change especially when other companies are seeking me out for bigger opportunities.

TLDR; I like my company for the most part but significant changes on my team are quickly affecting that for the worse. Ironically I’m also receiving new interest from recruiters for bigger opportunities. Making a decision on whether to leave or stay is driving me fvcking mental.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News