ADVERTISEMENT

One pastor/preacher's view on the Bible verse being used to coach a basketball player...

Brandon Bohannon

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2007
Fort Worth

Exodus 20:7
New International Version

7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

King James Version

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Exodus 20:7
English Standard Version

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

It is not my intention to proselyte RRS nor push my beliefs upon any of you. I just thought that some might be interested in how a Christian Believer might view what Mark Adams has done and why some of us might be of the opinion that he used Scripture inappropriately and incorrectly to discipline a player. The Word is appropriate for every lane of life IF and WHEN it is correctly used. He used a broad sword instead of a scalpel and needs to be fired immediately for doing so. The letter kills, the Spirit gives life.

When I was younger, I thought that this verse was referring to the crass and improper usage of the name of God attached to curse words. While inappropriate and definitely something for our consideration, I have grown to understand that the truest implications are a prohibition on falsely attributing something to God that He didn't or hasn't said. Think about the many modern false teachers who claim that God told them something that He hasn't and then pass on this "revelation" to others who believe that God has told these false prophets something that He has never said nor ever will say.

The next implication is to falsely quote God or His Word out of context. When He is quoted out of context, it becomes manipulative and devoid of the true meaning and character of His Word.

Just my $0.02 What are yours?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News