ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Stats and 2024

2techsans

Red Raider
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2004
Just perusing some offensive stats stuff this morning (courtesy bcftoys.com) and looking at their offensive efficiency for Tech. Watched the 2015 KSU game in another thread and they talked about how many 1 and 2 minute touchdowns we had.

We've been spoiled by offense around here. And I kinda wanted to see how data reflected what my gut said...

So, starting 2007 - when they have data - OFEI rank (opponent-adjusted data representing the scoring advantage per possession a team would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average opponent, calculated from the results of non-garbage possessions in FBS vs. FBS games)

Year - rank

Leach
2007 - 5
2008 - 4
2009 - 22

Leach had his offense rolling by the time he was here several years...

Brown
2010 - 43
2011 - 20
2012 - 15 (Kliff had #1 offense this year - easy to see why we hired him)

Brown - not shabby IMHO, considering he was constrained by the idiocity of the head coach

Kliff
2013 - 27
2014 - 26
2015 - 8
2016 - 4
2017 - 26
2018 - 43

Kliff was as good as Leach, in a different time. Wish I had drive stats too (time to td) as 2015/2016 was just incredible with mahomes. Watched the 2015 KSU game and we dropped 28 on those jokers in one quarter and they flashed up us leading the country in 1 and 2 minute TD drives.

Wells/Yost
2019 - 38
2020 - 45

Surprised to see Yost this good as the offense always felt inconsistent to me under this group.

Wells/Cumbie
2021 - 25

Cumbie shows a clear improvement in one year, and Wells OL coach kills the next several years not recruiting high school OL.

McGuire/Kittley
2022 - 46
2023 - 53

My take - combination of QB injuries, poor OL recruiting under Wells, and WR not getting separation and Kittley still about where Wells was.

With a better OL (2 years of portal dudes + growing some up), the portal WRs and Hudson and of course Tahj, - I'm excited to see what this group can do in 2024.

If we can get back to a "good" Texas Tech offense (top 30) combined with the talent at D - and getting to be a "take 3" on Defense - then we have a MUCH better chance of landing in the top 3-4 in the conference. Have a "great" offense and good defense and the sky is the limit - but I'm not sure we're quite developed for "great" just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.